STAGE PENN RELAY CARNIVAL TODAY

Coach Bingham Withdraws C. G. Krogness--E. O. Gourdin and R. W. Harwood Represent University

The last University entrant in the Penn Relay Carnival, E. O. Gourdin '21, will leave for Philadelphia this afternoon and will compete in the 100-yard dash and broad-jump events tomorrow. J. F. Brown '22 and R. W. Harwood ocC left last night; but the fourth man who was to have represented the University, C. G. Krogness '21, was withdrawn yesterday by Coach Bingham. Krogness, who was entered in the 120-yard hurdles and the high jump, has done little track work during the last year; and Coach Bingham believes that he will gain more benefit from remaining at Cambridge for the handicap meet Saturday than by taking part in the Carnival.

Brown, the only Crimson man contending in any event today, will compete in the throwing of the 56-1b weight this afternoon at 3 o'clock. This is one of the two special field events to take place today, the other being the hop, step, and jump event, in which Gourdin placed third last year. Brown's most formidable opponent in the weight-throwing contest will be Dandrow of the Institute of Technology team. Many expect the Latter, who won second place in the hammer-throw at the Intercollegiates last spring, to break all previous records today in the weight-throwing. Weld of Dartmouth will also be a strong contender.

Although the principal college and school relay events will not take place until tomorrow, two of especial interest are on the program for this afternoon. These are the College Championship Medley Sprint and Distance Relay Races, in the former of which the Uni versity was at first entered. Both Princeton and Yale will compete in the Sprint Relay, the Tiger team being considered the weakest of the two in spite of the fact that Stevenson, one of the best 440 men in America at present is on it. In the Distance Relay the Navy track men will make their first appearance away from Annapolis in the history of the Academy.

While the University track men with no practice this afternoon rest for tomorrow's handicap meet, the 1924 runners will take part in a scratch handicap interdormitory meet, from the results of which Coaches Bingham and Farrell will be able to make up the entries for the Exeter and Yale meets a week and two weeks respectively from tomorrow. The field events this afternoon will begin at 2 and the track at 3 o'clock. The same schedule will be used in the meet tomorrow, which all members of both the University and Freshman squads are free to enter