YALE CREW TO RACE WITH THREE NEW MEN

Nickalls has Ordered drastic Shifts In Eight Since Race Against Penn.--Boat Has More Weight Now--Championship, Navy Crew Meets Penn.

As a result of Yale's defeat at the hands of Pennsylvania two weeks ago and the generally good development of her own crew, Columbia seems to feel that she can defeat Yale over the Housatonic course this afternoon, and it would not be surprising if her expectation were fulfilled. Coach Rice has an eight that has been rowing together for a month, an eight that is powerful, spirited and confident. Coach Nickalls' boating has been settled for just three days. It is true, however, that Yale has been doing much better in these three days than she did two weeks ago against Penn.

There are three new men in Yale's' first shell since her defeat at the hands of Penn. Cowles has come up to 3, displacing Haldeman; Payson, who was shifted to Martin's place at 4 last week, has just exchanged places with Captain Hord, and is now rowing at 6; and, most important of all, Leslie, who stroked the victorious Junior crew against Penn, has taken the stroke oar in the first boat away from Hemingway. Only four men will row today as they sat in the shell on April 16. They are Whitney at bow, Carman at 2, Gibson at 5 and Mali at 7. The shifts add an average of 3 pounds to the man to the weight of the boat, which still is, however, 3 pounds to the man lighter than Columbia's eight.

Yale Drops Time Trials

Coach Nickalls dropped the practice of holding time trials last week and not without reason. They have proved singularly deceptive; in a time trial over the Housatonic course, before the Penn race, the first Yale boat made the exceptionally good time of 6 minutes and 33 seconds, and in the race itself the best she could do was 7 minutes and 9 seconds. Columbia has had her crews clocked, but Coach Rice refused to allow the time to be published, so that how the two crews compare in time records is showing form which is entirely satisfactory to the coach; Coach Nickalls, on the other hand, has been at work up to the last minute on the form of his crew, and especially in the racing start, which he has now developed to his satisfaction.

Penn Meets Navy

Navy the other big race of the day it would indeed be surprising if Penn should come in ahead of Annapolis on the Severn River. But not a few were surprised last week when Penn beat Yale, and it is not outside the realm of possibility, therefore, that Penn will defeat the navy, while she is sure too offer a good race. Annapolis, however, has remarkable crew with six of the Olympic champions in their seats again this year, and it will take all of Penn's ability and spirit to make her concede defeat.

Today's races are important not only for comparison material which they will afford for the various crews concerned, but also for showing how Columbia and Annapolis measure up to standards in the first events of their respective seasons.