INTERCOLLEGIATE LIBERAL LEAGUE IS LAUNCHED AT CONVENTION IN UNION

Five Officers for Current Year Chosen by Executive Committee at Yesterday Afternoon's Session.

The intercollegiate Liberal League was launched at a Convention held at the Union yesterday and the day before. Forty-five colleges sent delegates, and among the speakers were such prominent men as President Eliot and Dean Briggs of the University, Walter Lippmann, and editor of "The New Republic", Edwin F. Ladd, the non-partisan League senator from North Dakota, Francis Nelson. Editor of "The Footman", and Civil Liberties Bureau. More than 500 H. N. Mac Cracken'05, President of the people were present at the dinner on Saturday night, and an equally large number attended the luncheon on Sunday afternoon.

The Convention met at the Union on Saturday afternoon at 1.30 for the registration and reception of the delegates. At 2 o'clock the meeting was called to order in the Living Room, and elected a chairman and secretary. Speeches from Dean Briggs, Walter Lippmann, and President Eliot followed, and at 4.30 the meeting was adjourned until the evening.

At 6 o'clock a supper was served in the Living Room at which several speeches were heard.

Elect Provisional Executive Committee

Yesterday morning a Provisional Student Executive Committee was elected. At 12 o'clock, there was a luncheon in the Living Room followed by short speeches on various subjects. In the afternoon the Full Executive Committee chose the officers, and H. N. Mac-Cracken '05, President of Vassar made the closing address. At the meeting of the delegates the Committee on Name and Purpose announced that the name was to be "The Intercollegiate Liberal League", and the purpose was a follow:

"To bring about a fair and open-minded consideration of social, industrial, political, and international questions by groups of college students. The organization will espouse no creed or principle other than that of complete freedom of assembly and discussion in the colleges. Its ultimate aim will be to create among college men and women an intelligent interest in the problems of the day."

At a meeting held yesterday afternoon at 3.30 the Full Provisional Executive Committee chose the following officers for the current year:

President Muriel Morris of Wellesley; vice-presidents, Donald Mayer of Columbia and G. O. Arkin of New York University Law School; executive secretary Mary Switzer of Radcliffe: secretary, John Rothschild ocC.

Dean Briggs' Speech

After welcoming the delegates to the Convention. Dean Briggs expressed the hope shared, he said, by several of the liberal clubs there represented that neither names in English polities nor any thing else would blind the prospective league to the true meaning of liberalism, "Radicals", he continued, "may be liberals, but liberalism does not mean radicalism: socialists may be liberal, but liberalism does not mean socialism. There are bigotted conservatives, and equally bigotted radicals: there are bigotted capitalists and equally bigotted socialists. Only one belief is essential to a liberal a belief in the right of every man and every woman to an independence of be lier Warning against "illiberal provinciality." Dean Briggs advised his audience to remember that no man can be an intelligent radical if he goes only to radicals for his ideas of conservatism. In concluding, he said: "We welcome you as liberals in the difficult and noble quest of the square deal and the open mind. Much that is fundamental is as yet undiscovered. You as young citizens, are to do your part in seeking it. The quest in noble for its end is the welfare of humanity.

Mr. Lippmann's Speech

It a speech, that perhaps more than any other sounded the keynote of the convention, Mr. Lippmann stated that the purpose of the liberal is not to form a particular party, or accomplish a particular program, but to find out means of providing modern democracies with the information they need. No one pattern can fit the whole world, for the world is varied and the nature of man intricate: neither can a group of men in Paris decide what the world is to remain; or one in Moscow decide what it is to become. For the improvement of human society is something to be directed from one center and attained by the accomplishment of one program; it comes because of consist ant and pr evasive working of men and women, wherever they may be to find the truth and to clear away error.

While not launching a new cult or a get the liberals Mr. Lippmann said, call themselves by that name because they believe that in the courageous and intelligent development of the principles of liberalism lies the best hope of a new and spacious civilization.

In these advanced days of democracy, the speaker continued, some people do not look at majorities as such, but at the means by which those majorities are created. Therefore there is positive work to be done in the organization of and the arrangement of access to that knowledge by which the opinion of majorities is formed. To this work of informing the citizen the liberal should largely devote himself, staking everything upon the as he can find it, and asking of the no reward in riches and fame. Happy is the nation", concluded Mr. Lippmann, where consecration like that is not too rare."

Miss Mirkin, of Tufts College Medical School made one student reply to Mr. Lippmann, and II. B. Davis, Harvard ocC the other.

President Eliot's Speech

President Charles W. Eliot, the second speaker at the dinner, declared that he had generally thought of himself as a liberal, and as an advocate of mental, social, and religious freedom for everyone. He further stated, as a basic proposition, that the American institutions are safe now and in the longest possible future.

In referring more particularly to the objects before the Convection, President Eliot stressed two points. At the risk of seeming behind the times, he said he counselled his hearers not to reject old-fashioned principles, especially, when they relate to the progress of mankind, without careful examination. He advised students to devote a large part of their time to the study of the past more particularly the past of America, for by doing so they will discover two things. First, that progress in America has always been slow and steady rather than spasmodic: second that progress has always been gained not by theory but by practice. Thus, when they look to the future, they will see that the best way to proceed is step by step, and that the only way to proceed is by things done.

The purpose of education, President Eliot said, was in his opinion, to allow a student to so ascertain his powers as to best fit himself for his after life. The colleges of today, primarily those where the elective system exists, are of great assistance to the student in enabling him to know his own ideas. They provide a happy unity in intellectual culture, and of this President Eliot advised all students to take advantage, so as to best fit themselves each for his own particular goal in life.

Miss Mary Switzer Radcliffe replied to President Eliot. She state that the function of the proposed organization should be the presentation to students of facts relating to the practical work that is to be done in the world beyond college. In this way she said the organization would be powerful in breaking down the isolation of student life in America.

Senator Ladd's Speech

Speaking at the dinner on Saturday night Senator Ladd took up "Agriculture the Nation's Problem." Dealing with the position of the farmer considered some years ago as the backbone of the nation, and now rated by same as next to Bolshevists Senator Ladd spoke first of the reasons for their plight, and then suggested some measures for meeting the situation.

The farmers have not changed from Americans to anarchists over night. They always have stood and stand now for freedom. Their organizing is due to the fact that they have at last realized that as individuals they can do nothing against organized business. Their grievance, said Senator Ladd, in perfectly legitimate. It is predicted that within a few years this country. With all its land and all its gigantic market system, will have to import food on a large scale. The reason why this will happen is the existence of the middlemen. The whole market system huge but too complex, is ran and for the benefit of this unproductive class, which battens on producer and consumer alike. A farmer gets $1.50 for the wool that goes to make up a suit for which we pay $80.00 the difference goes to the middlemen.

It is to remedy this system that there is meeting in Chicago at a future date the Committee of 17, together with representative from eighteen of the northwestern sates. This assembly will approve and set about putting into action scheme for marketing wheat by the organization of farmers rather than by manipulators and middlemen, the capital being supplied by subscriptions from the farmers themselves.

This scheme will help the farmers to some extent, but according to Senator Ladd, more must be done by the Government to encourage production. There must be an end of the state of war with Germany, since she is making an honest attempt at democracy. Profiteering should be made a crime: there should be an end to gambling in wheat: labor hold be as well protected as capital before the law. There should be established an organization, tending for world peace on sea and land, but one not likely to embroil the United States in petty European quarrels. Above all trade relations with Russia should be immediately resumed.

Other Speakers

Of the other speakers at the dinner on Saturday night Mr. Walter G. Fuller. Associate Editor of the "Freeman", who was one of the most instrumental men in organizing the Convention, made a plea for such "extra-mural" activities as liberal clubs. He also pointed out to the Convention the splendid opening that might be before the liberal league in the international field.

John Rothschild ocC. Speaks

John Rothschild ocC. stated that the proposed league did not intend to offer its adherence to the radicals as an organization, but only as a means where by they can get a fairer hearing in the universities. The hope of all those interested in the movement, he said, was that tit would cultivate such an attitude of mind among the people in the Universities, that by the time a generation had clapped they would be more prone to thought and less to prejudice.

Mr. Donald Winston of "Young Democracy" gave an account of some of the liberal clubs he had seen throughout the country, and expressed the opinion that the Convention there assembled might be the beginning of a movement that would greatly effect the future of the country.

Mr. Francis Neilson, Editor of the "Freeman" speaking after Mr. Winston declared that imperialism was stronger in Europe today than ever before the war, and that to understand the conditions there the American students must give more attention to affairs in foreign countries then they have heretofore. By looking at Europe and its past history he will come to the root of the whole matter-that man is a land animal, and that his happiness is bound to the land. With this as a starting point he will easily be led through the mazes of political government to the nobler elevation, which is art.

G. D. Pratt Jr. '22 made the student reply to Mr. Neilson.

Mrs. Charlotte Perkins Gilmor, speaking next in order, stressed the value of the liberal not keeping so open a mind that nothing would stay in it, and expressed the hope that the proposed league would be instrumental in bringing about a word federation of countries.

Miss. Katharine Shaw of Vassar, replying to Mrs. Gilman, expressed Vassar's sympathy with the convention and the movement in general.

President of Seaman's Union Speaks

Mr. Andrew Furuseth, President of the International Seaman's Union of America made a powerful speech, explaining to the Convention the need of keeping in force the "Seamen's Law of 1915." Shipowners are trying to get it repealed on the ground that it handicaps our merchant marline. But their reasons are unfounded, and the law is absolutely necessary to preserve the seaman from slavery to the shipowner.

Mr. Lucien Price, author of "Immortal Youth," made the last address of the evening.

At the luncheon in the Living Room of the Union, the toastmistress, Muriel Morris of Wellesley, announced that forty five colleges were represented.

J. W. Morris' Speech

The first speech was by J. W. Morris uL., a member of the Executive Committee of the Cambridge University Liberal Club on "The English Parallel". He said that the name Liberal was not a monopoly of any one country, but was universal and easily understood by all. He went on to tell of the Cambridge University Liberal Club, which conducted debates between Englishmen of national reputation upon subjects of current interest after each of which a ballot was held to determine the opinion of the students. The decided in favor of "The League of Nations" and "Disarmament" and deplored "America's Attitude Toward the Peace Treaty". He expressed a hope that the national organization now being formed might soon become international.

A. G. Dill '08 Speaks

The second speech "Liberalism and the Negro," was by A. G. Dill '08, himself a negro, and editor of "The Crisis," a negro magazine. Mr. Dill stated that there were now 12,000,000 negroes in the United States and that contrary to the belief of many people the negro problem had ceased to be sectional, and was how national. He said that slavery still existed in a different form. Three thousand negroes lynched in thirty-five years, disfranchisement through insult and intimidation, and peonage as practiced on the Georgia farms all show that the slave system still exists. Help in the solution of the negro problem must come today from the young men and women of the colleges as it did in the days of Major 11. L. Higginson '82, and Colonel R. G. Shaw '60.

H. W. Laidler's SpeechThe third speech, "The Task Ahead", was by H. W. Laidler, secretary of the intercollegiate Socialist Society. He said that it was the task of the students to keep open the channels which suffer most from social taboo, such as socialism, communism, I. W. Whism, and anarchism: to try to find out why the press, why other forces in society, are creating the taboo.

R. N. Baldwin '05 Speaks

The fourth speaker was R. N. Baldwin '05, the head of the Civil Liberties Bureau. He said that although George Washington has received all the credit for feeling this country, it was Thomas Paine who stirred the people by his marvelous writing; and that although Abraham Lincoln is justly praised as the great leader of the North in the Civil War, it was William Lloyd Garrison, the archpacifist, who aroused the public by his writing. He said that the Liberal League must not be satisfied with thinking and talking about the questions of the day, but must catch the spirit of revolt as the I. W. W. has done, and deal in the forces which are today red-hot.

Mrs. Arthur G. Rotch's Speech

Mrs. Arthur G. Rotch of the "Women's Trade Union League", and now working for the "Massachusetts League of Women Voters," spoke on "Revitalizing Politics". She said that the women had not worked for years simply to gain the vote but in order to become useful and patriotic citizens. Men seem to show patriotism in time of emergency. The women want to see it as a matter of daily life Citizens must show an intelligent interest in the problems before the country. Therefore the women have organized the League of Women Voters in order to help them make the best use of citizenship Education should never be entrusted to partisan bodies, but women are urged to join the parties and work from within never, however, losing their independence or compromising their principles.

Mr. H. G. Mussey's Speech

Mr. H. G. Mussey former editor of "The Nation" and now in the "League Against Militarism", spoke on "Making Congress Service the People". He said that it was the aim of the League Against Militarism" to keep watch on