PROF. E. K. RAND TO SPEAK AT FOGG TODAY

Lectures on Mediaeval Script at 4. This Afternoon--Additions Have Be Made to Morgan Exhibition of Man scripts Now on View at Museum

Professor E. K. Rand '94 will speak this afternoon at 4.30 o'clock on "Mediaeval Script" in the Lecture Room of the Fogg Museum. The lecture will be illustrated with lantern slides.

Manuscripts from the Pierpont Morgan Library will be on exhibition in the Museum only one week more, the exhibition ending on Thursday, April 14. Added interest has been given to the exhibit by placing in the cases certain reproductions of manuscripts which illustrate phases of miniature painting not represented before. The collection has thus been made practically an epitome of the art of illumination from the late classic times through the fifteenth century.

The late classic phase is shown pages from two Virgils, one the so-called Vatican Virgil of the fourth century, and one of the sixth century. In these manuscripts the illuminations were treat as separate pictures and not close linked with the text as in the mediaeval manuscripts.

A reproduction of the gospel of Rossans represents Byzantine illumination of the sixth century and shows the beginning of Byzantine solemnity, symbolism and feeling for color.

Work of the Celtic school, which was purely ornamental in character, is illustrated by a fine page from the Book Kells, the supreme masterpiece of the school, dating probably from the eighth or ninth century:

Other additions to the exhibitions a reproductions of manuscripts of the Carolingian Renaissance.