UNION DRAWS UP NEW CONSTITUTION AND BY-LAWS

Action Found Necessary Because of Changed Conditions and Administration--By-Laws Set Rules for Engaging Rooms for Meetings

At a meeting yesterday of the Governing Board of the Union, a new Constitution and set of By Laws for the Union was unanimously adopted by the Board. The last Constitution of the Union was drawn up in 1901, and since that time conditions have changed so greatly that a new one was deemed necessary.

After the war, the Union was taken over by the University, and this fact also has necessitated changes in the Constitution. The spirit of the old Constitution has been maintained, and as few changes as possible, those arising from new managing organs and from situations giving rise to new by-laws, have been made.

The most important changes are in the By Laws, to which four sections, relative to the holding of meetings and other gatherings by University organizations in the Union, have been added. The Union is open to such meetings of undergraduate organizations, but only under certain rules laid down in the last four By Laws, and in return for the rental price of the room in the Union which is being used for the meeting.

Constitution States Purpose of Union

The object of the Union, as stated in the Constitution, is "to provide at Cambridge a suitable clubhouse for social purposes for members of Harvard University." The Constitution next enumerates the various officers of the Union and their functions, together with the method to be used in their election.

The three standing committees, which include the Governing Board, an Undergraduate Committee and a Library Committee, are next taken up and discussed, with an enumeration of the duties of each.

The Constitution then explains the different kinds of membership, of which there are four. Any member or past member of the University is eligible to resident or active membership. "All past members of the University not residing in Cambridge may become non-residing in Cambridge may become non-resident members. They shall enjoy all the privileges of the Union, but they shall not vote for any officer. Past members and all officers of the University may become life members on payment of $50; students, on payment of $75. The Union may elect not more than four honorary members, providing each candidate for honorary membership has received the approval of the Governing Board and the Undergraduate Committee, and providing no resident members protest his election."

Graduates Urged to Use Building

All past members of the University are urged to avail themselves of the privileges of the Union while in Cambridge, with the view of making the Union, as far as possible, the headquarters of graduates when in Cambridge. These graduates may apply at the Graduate Manager's office for a guest card; but in case their use of the clubhouse is to exceed three weeks, they must take out non-resident memberships.

Dues and charges incurred at the Union may be placed on the University term bill, and shall be collected by the Bursar. In case of resignations, the member resigning shall be eligible for full membership fee and the total amount of his indebtedness to the Union. Any member may be suspended or expelled by majority vote of he Governing Board and the Undergraduate Committee, after a proper hearing before these Committees in joint session.

Provisions Made for Amendments

Provision is made for amending the Constitution, which may be accomplished by a majority vote of the Governing Board and Undergraduate Committee, subject to protest of twenty-five or more resident members.

The twenty By-Laws which follow the Constitution have reference to such miscellaneous matters as the introduction of persons not eligible for membership by resident members, special meetings of organizations, and special duties of committees.

The last four sections of the By-Laws, those which have just been added, and are the most important of all, are quoted below. They deal with the hiring of rooms in the Union for lectures or other meetings, which lectures or meetings shall be open only to Union members except by petition to the Governing Board. These last four By-Laws are as follows:

Section 17.--Any organization wishing to hire any room in the Union for a lecture or other meeting must submit to the Graduate Manager, at least two weeks before the meeting, a written statement giving the date and character of the meeting, names of the speaker or speakers, and subjects on which he or they are to speak.

Section 18.--In accordance with the University custom against the holding of meetings on Sunday mornings, no organization whatever shall hold a meeting in the Union before one o'clock on Sundays.

Section 19.--In advertising any meeting to be held in the Union and for which the Union is not itself responsible, the use of the name "Harvard Union" shall be confined to the bare statement that the event is to be held in the Union building. The organization responsible for the meeting, or gathering shall clearly state in their posters or other publicity mediums, that the meeting or gathering is under their auspices.

Section 20.--No organization shall be permitted to hold a meeting in the Union open to other than Union members without first presenting in writing a petition to this effect to the Governing Board.