LIEUT. WARREN PROMOTED

Field Artillery Unit Starts Sub-Calibre Practice--Forty Men Sign up For Two-Day Mounted Hike

It was announced yesterday by the Military Science Department that First Lieutenant Ross B. Warren, F. A., U. S. A., instructor in motor mechanical had received his promotion to a captaincy. Captain Warren came to the University as an instructor in the Field Artillery Unit late in September. He was graduated from the University of Missouri in 1917, and during the war saw service in France with the 21st Field Artillery.

Beginning today, the Field Artillery Unit will fire sub-calibre practice with the three-inch battery. A Springfield 30-calibre bullet is used in tubes, inserted in the bores of the cannon, and miniature targets, giving somewhat the effect of actual service firing, are used.

Several men have already completed record practice on the pistol range with excellent scores. As soon as a large enough number of men have finished shooting, a team for outside matches will be picked.

More than forty men have signed up for a mounted hike to be taken on some week-end during the spring, probably April 30, to May 2, weather permitting. The students will camp out on some farm ten or fifteen miles from Boston.