TIGER TRACK TEAM IS WEAKENED BY LOSSES

Many Star Runners Unable to Compete Because of Ineligibility or Injury--Several British Champions Form Backbone of Team

Princeton track enthusiasts are on the verge of giving up all hopes of a championship team this year owing to the ineligibility and injury of many of the Tiger's stellar performers. The four important men unable to compete this spring on account of studies are Murrey, star half-miler and winner of several 400-yard indoor races this winter; Adams, former interscholastic champion in the mile and captain of the 1923 outfit last spring; Huhn, a promising hurdler; and Croft, star sprinter for the Freshmen last year. W. S. Powers, former Exeter star, and the best pole vaulter on the 1923 team, is ineligible also on account of scholastic standing; while Baker, the hammer-thrower and football player, is unable to compete because of the two-sport rule.

Three star Tiger runners are on the injury list: W. E. Massey, Princeton's most dependable hurdler, cannot take part in this event because of a recent attack of appendicitis, although he may be used in the sprints later in the year; Johnson, a crack man in the half, is laid up with the mumps; while Captain Swede of the Cross Country team is having trouble with an injured foot and may be compelled to stay out of some of the meets this spring.

British Champions on Team

Despite the discouraging outlook Coach Keene Fitzpatrick is working with the material on hand. D. B. Lourie, last fall's All-American quarterback, will be Princeton's mainstay in the broad-jump and the sprints with Scarlett, Tinker, Ross, and Blake to aid him in the latter. Lourie became British broad-jump champion last spring when the Tiger track team defeated Oxford in England. In the quarter are Stevenson, winner of the British championship; Lambert and Conover, all veterans.

In the half mile Jones, last year's Freshman star, and Penfield will be the best men available unless Murrey can work off his ineligibility. Captain McCulloch is the outstanding performer in the mile while Foresman, Rogers, Steers, and Martin are also doing consistent work in this distance.

Miller, Kaltenbach, and Paul are the pole-vaulters of note; while in the other field events Sweet in the high-jump, Lourie in the broad-jump, Halsey in the shotput, and Speers in the hammer-throw are the most dependable men. Halsey placed in the intercollegiate last spring in his event, and Speers won the British championship in his.