LOUVAIN PROFESSOR TO TEACH AT UNIVERSITY

Maurice DeWulf Was Successor to Cardinal Mercier in Chair of Philosophy At Louvain--Appointments in Medical School Announced

Maurice DeWulf, Cardinal Mercier's successor in the chair of philosophy at Louvain, has been appointed Professor of Philosophy at the University, and has accepted the appointment.

Professor DeWulf, who is considered one of the leading authorities in Europe on the history of mediaeval philosophy, is one of the Louvain professors who were invited to the University after the destruction of their university by the Germans in 1914, and since then he has done considerable teaching here from time to time. For twelve years he was secretary to Cardinal Mercier, and a year ago he accompanied the Cardinal on his American trip. Later in the year he gave a series of lectures at the Lowell Institute in Boston. He is expected to begin teaching at the University next September.

The Governing Boards of the University have also made a large number of appointments in the Medical School. Two new assistant professors are Dr. George S. Derby '96, and Dr. Alfred C. Redfield '14. Dr. Derby, who has taught at the School since 1913, was a lieutenant-colonel in the Medical Corps during the war, and was cited for "exceptionally meritorious and conspicuous services" as consulting eye surgeon in the A. E. F., becomes assistant professor of ophthalmology. Dr. Redfield, formerly assistant professor at the University of Toronto, has been working this year in the Cavendish Laboratory at Cambridge, England.

Dr. Joseph C. Aub '11, Dr. William C. Quinby '99, Dr. Frederick H. Verhoeff, Dr. J. Homer Wright, Dr. William L. Moss and Dr. Jacques Bronfenbrenner are reappointed assistant professors. Dr. Harry C. Solomon, who graduated from the Medical School in 1914, has been appointed instructor in psychiatry for a three-year term. Dr. Henry C. Smith becomes assistant professor of dental chemistry in the Denial School. Dr. Calvin B. Faunce Jr. and Dr. Philip Hammond, now the chief of staff on the aural side of the Eye and Ear Infirmary, are appointed instructors in the Medical School. Instructors reappointed by the Governing Boards include Dr. Frederick S. Burns, Dr. Robert M. Green '02, Dr. George W. Holmes and Dr. Frederick T. Lord '97.

Bancroft Beatley '15 has been reappointed instructor in education for three years