MR. FILENE SPEAKS ON EUROPEAN SITUATION

Organizer of International Trade Conference to Talk in Trophy Room of Union at 8 o'Clock This Evening--Open to All Members of University

Mr. Edward A. Filene, president of William Filene and Sons, of Boston, and the organizer, two years ago, of the International Trade Conference, will speak at 8 o'clock this evening in the Trophy Room of the Union on "The Business Man's Point of View of the European Situation." The address, to which all members of the University are invited, will come after a dinner to be given in the speaker's honor by the Student Liberal Club.

Mr. Filene has long been active in industrial and civic work. In 1909 he was vice-president of the International Congress of the Chambers of Commerce, and in the same year was made a director of the Boston Chamber of Commerce, also holding the chair of the Chamber's industrial relations committee. From 1909 to 1912 he was a director of "Boston 1915," and in 1912 became chairman of the Metropolitan Plan Commission. He served as national councillor to the U. S. Chamber of Commerce from 1912 to 1916, holding the position of director for the years 1916, 1917 and 1918. After the entry of the United States into the war he was chairman of the war shipping committee and a member of the executive and finance committees of the Chamber of Commerce.

In 1919 Mr. Filene went abroad to organize the International Trade Conference, which was attended by many well-known men from the more advanced countries of Europe. These representatives returned to the United States with Mr. Filene in the same year, and after speaking at difference places throughout the country, held a convention at Atlantic City. Last year Mr. Filene went to England to the first meeting of the International Chamber of Commerce, in the founding of which he had been very prominent. He is now one of the directors of the American section of this body. since 1915 Mr. Filene has been actively connected with the League to Enforce Peace