MR. J. C. FERGUSON DISCUSSES PROBLEMS OF CHINA

Adviser to Chinese President Belittles Monarchial Restoration--Other Nations Must Recognize China as a World Power

The danger of a restoration in China is becoming less and less as time goes on, according to Mr. John C. Ferguson, who has recently returned to this country. Mr. Ferguson has been an official of the Chinese government for over twenty years, and is now the Adviser to the President of China. During this time he has also been connected with the Chinese Red Cross, and has received a number of honors from the Chinese and other governments. In a recent interview for the CRIMSON, Mr. Ferguson discussed the problems of the restoration, and explained why he thought that there was no more real danger of a monarchist revolution.

"The position of the ex-emperor in China is unique in the history of the world," he declared. "At the time of the revolution, the young emperor Shuan Tung, who was then only five years old, was not dethroned, but abdicated. Consequently the Republican government saw fit to allow him to continue living in the palace, with his family and attendants. The Chinese royal palace is divided into three parts: the reception rooms, where official business was carried on; the residence, where the emperor and his family live, and hold court; and the household. After the revolution the Republican government took over all the reception rooms and so forth, and part of the household, for official purposes; leaving the residence and the rest of the household for the emperor and his attendants. Here the emperor holds court and rules, without being disturbed in any way by the national government. This is one of the neatest examples of an Imperium in Imperio that I know of.

"The danger of the restoration comes from the fact that the emperor is on the spot, and available for anyone who wishes to overthrow the present government. The possible sources of trouble are twofold. First there are political leaders who are antagonistic to the present government, and wish to get into power themselves. Such men would like to restore the emperor to his throne, and then appoint themselves prime minister and take the reins of government into their own hands. In the early days of the Republic there were many people who were dissatisfied with it, and desired to overthrow it, but they are becoming reconciled to it, and the number of those who are dangerous to the government is decreasing rapidly with time. Secondly, there are the old men who earnestly believe the monarchy to be the better form of government, and desire to see the emperor restored not for their own sake, but for the country's. But this party is becoming weaker with time."

Government Now Modern and Stable

In answer to a question as to whether he thought the present Government in China stable, Mr. Ferguson replied emphatically in the affirmative: "In the future the younger element will be in control of the government instead of the older conservative party. This young group has all the fire and progressiveness of any western race and believes firmly in a republican form of government. It stands for modern economic and social theories, and it is basing its life on these that China will become a modern nation.

"The regeneration of China is dependent on the development on the means of communication. Before the introduction of steam power slow means of communication were no handicap, but the advantages which other countries now have over China in the use of steam in industry and transportation is one of the greatest drawbacks. The prosperity of a country depends on two things: her natural resources, and the means of getting these to market. China has almost unlimited resources; the interior of the country is one of the greatest agricultural districts in the world. Solely because of the lack of transportation, people on the coast starve, while in the interior there is so much extra grain that it is burned as fuel.

Carry Grain on Rivers

"Here is another example of how transportation costs affect the industry and commerce of a country. Transportation of graiff from the interior is usually by means of flat-boats and barges. One would imagine that this would be one of the cheapest forms of transportation there is, since there would be no lack of fuel charges, and the labor can be hired for a few cents a day. Yet in 1917, when wheat was selling for about eight cents a bushel at the place of production, the transportation charges from there to the United States were so great that it was unprofitable to ship it. Futhermore, most of the cost was due to inefficient transportation in China itself. The cost of sending the grain down the river to Shanghai was greater than the cost of shipping it across the Pacific."

In answer to a question about the existence of a labor problem in China, Mr. Ferguson said: "The labor problem in China was solved long before the western countries began to have such a problem. Everyone in China is organized; the various kinds of laborers have been formed into a sort of guild unions, and the employers have their associations. Whenever there is any dispute as to wages, hours, or conditions of working, instead of striking, or declaring a lockout, committees of the employers and laborers immediately concerned meet and thrash the matter out between themselves. There are no so-called walking delegates in China. Both sides abide by the decision of the committees, and all disputes are smoothed over in this manner.

Apply Religious Formulae to State

"There is one thing more I want to say. China is a world power, and the other nations of the world must not forget this fact. She has had a continuous government for over 4000 years, and at no time has it had any serious setbacks. China's religious tenets may be somewhat different from ours, but there is one point in which she is superior to Christian nations. She is the only country in the world which has attempted to have the same religious formulae govern the life and conduct of the state as govern the conduct of the individual."