NOVICE MEET PROVES SUCCESSFUL

Lockwood and Stearn Show Up Well In New Track Feature

With more than fifty men of the University and Freshman squads competing, Coach Bingham's new track experiment, the first Novice meet of the season, held at Soldiers Field yesterday afternoon, proved a distinct success. The meet was held for the purpose of bringing out the green material in the two squads, and was open only to men who had never placed before while representing the University or Freshmen in track or in a handicap meet at the University.

The individual stars of yesterday's meet were Benoni Lockwood '22 and David Stearn' 22. The former won the 100-yard dash and took third place in both the broad and high-jumps; while the latter finished half a yard behind Lockwood in the 100 and captured first place in the 220-yard event. C. B. Townsend '24 was the winner of the 440-yard dash.

In the 880-yard and mile runs Otis Barton '22 and C. F. Ramseyer '23 won first respectively. Barton finished ten yards ahead of his nearest opponent and Ramseyer twenty. The high-jump was the most interesting field event. A. I. Smith ocC. nosing out B. W. Clark '23 by one inch, with a leap of 5 feet. The latter also won from Lockwood by one inch.