A WISE CHOICE

The appointment of General Pershing as Chief of Staff is one which will win the whole hearted approval of all elements in America. It is fitting that the highest office under our government open to an army officer should be given to the soldier, who by his past record and the high regard in which he is held, best merits that office.

Under the new arrangement General Pershing will have the assistance of Major General James G. Harbord as Assistant Chief of Staff. General Harbord was one of the great finds of the war, a man of remarkable versatality and driving power. He will take over many of the administrative details formerly handled by the Chief of Staff, thus leaving General Pershing free to direct the organization and training of our armed forces.

In case of war General Pershing would at once assume command of the entire army and General Harbord would automatically become Chief of Staff, thus effectively removing an obstacle to efficient organization similar to that encountered by the British War Office in 1914 when the staff officers were all in command of sections in France at the time when their presence was most needed in London.