GETTING THE FACTS

One of the factors which is keeping alive, year after year, the prejudice against Harvard in many sections of the country, especially the Middle West, and preventing many men from choosing Harvard as their college is a lack of authoritative knowledge as to present day conditions. There are many who still regard Harvard as a college exclusively for rich men, or who believe that it is impossible for a man to work his way through.

This same problem is being met at Yale in an interesting way. During this week all Yale men are to be asked to fill out questionnaires giving information in regard to their expenses at college, it to state whether these expenses are met wholly or in part by their summer earnings, assistance from scholarships or loans or by income from work done during the college year. They will also be asked to estimate and itemize their expenses, such as tuition, rooms, board, laundry books, athletic fees, etc. Thus a complete and accurate record will be obtained of all men wholly or partially self-supporting, as well as a very definite idea of the necessary expenses of a student at New Haven.

The compilation of similar information regarding. Harvard men and the widespread dissemination of such facts would do much to overcome the false conception of life at Harvard which has become current in many of the western states.