PROSPECTS FOR BRITISH-AMERICAN MEET REVIEWED

Oxford-Cambridge Presents Strong Track Combination For Short Distances--Americans Have Edge in Mile and Field Events

From the results of the University-Yale track meet Saturday it is now possible to estimate in some degree the relative strength of the two American colleges and Oxford and Cambridge, that will compete July 23 in the Stadium. This estimate can best be made by comparing the times and distances of the Crimson-Blue duel with those made in the Oxford-Cambridge meet this winter. The comparison of the marks set in these two contests gives the English colleges the edge in the running events and the American in the field. The English meet, however, was held under much better weather conditions than the contest at New Haven last Saturday.

In the 100-yard dash in the English meet held in March, Abrahams of Cambridge made the mark of 10 1-5 seconds; Gourdin last Saturday sprinted the distance in 10 2-5, but against the M. I. T. he reached 10 flat and against Penn State did 9 4-5. Feldman of Yale equalled the Englishman's record May 7 at Princeton. The American colleges, therefore, appear to have the advantage in this event.

Oxford and Cambridge did not have the 220-yard dash on their program, but in the 440 Butler of the latter institution ran his lap in 49 1-5 seconds. Wharton as over two seconds behind this on Saturday with 51 3-5 for his time. Stevenson of Princeton, who made the record of 49 flat against Yale, is the only member of the "Big Three" track teams who at present can be classed with Butler.

English Distance Runners Fast

In the distance and middle-distance runs the English combination is exceptionally strong. No comparison can be made in the two-mile race because this event was not included in the British meet, the three-mile being its substitute. Montague of Cambridge ran this latter event in 14 minutes, 54 seconds, and is sure to give Hilles of Yale and Mahon of the University keen competition in the two-mile July 23. Hilles' time for this event last Saturday was 10.2 3-5.

Stallard of Cambridge will be the principal opponent of Campbell, the Eli star, and of Captain O'Connell, in the mile. The English runner made the fast time of 4 minutes, 22 seconds in the event this winter, a mark exactly two seconds better than Campbell's time last Saturday, which was only 1-5 slower than the University record made by O'Connell in 1919.

The 880-yard run should be one of the best races in the July meet. Against the University Campbell made this distance in 1.58, but with better track conditions at Princeton he did it in 1.56 4.5. Mountain of Cambridge ran the two laps in 1.57 1-5. However, with Campbell pushing him the English runner could undoubtedly make better time. Captain Rudd of Oxford will also be a strong contender in the half.

High Hurdles Evenly Matched

The 220-yard hurdling event was not on the English program this winter, but in the 120-yard highs the two American colleges appear to be evenly matched with the British. Hauers ran this event in 15 4-5 seconds against Yale. Krogness made the same time against M. I. T., while Trowbridge of Oxford also made the same mark against Cambridge. The latter is a former Princeton man, now a Rhodes scholar at Oxford.

Hammer-Throw Will Be Close

In the field events the University-Yale athletes made better marks Saturday than the Oxford-Cambridge men this winter in all but the hammer-throw Nokes of Oxford has a record of 143 feet in this event, while the winning throw by Hudson, the Eli performer, Saturday was only 139 feet, 8 inches. However, both Brown of the University and Cruikshank of Yale have bettered the above distances this spring, the former hurling the weight 144 feet, 6 inches against Penn State and the latter 144 feet, 7-10 inches against Princeton.

Burns of Cambridge high-jumped 5 feet. 10 inches in the Oxford-Cambridge meet, a low mark in comparison with Landon's 6 feet, 2 5-8 inches for Yale Saturday. Three Americans have equalled Burns' leap: Goodell and Krogness of the University, and Hannon of Yale.

In the broad-jump also, the Americans, led by Gourdin, have a distinct advantage. The latter leaped 24 feet, 4 inches at New Haven, while Krogness followed him with 22 feet, 3 1-2 inches. The best English jumper, Ingrams of Oxford, went only 22 feet, 1-2 inch.

Reese of Oxford, formerly of the University of Nebraska, will be the most formidable English entry in the shotput. And although his 39:2 mark is considerably below Jordan's 43:11 1-2 for Yale, he has been steadily improving this spring and will offer the American men in this event stiff competition. Tolbert for the Crimson and Boltwood for the Blue also bettered the Englishman's distance Saturday. The pole-vault was not included on the English program and probably will be omitted from the meet on July 23.