EMINENT SPEAKERS LISTED FOR 1921-22 PROGRAM OF UNION

MEMBERSHIP FEE TO BE RAISED FOR NEW APPLICANTS

Looking forward to placing the Union in an even more prominent position in the life of the University than it now holds, the Governing Board has decided on a somewhat more elaborate program for 1921-22 than that followed this year. It has also arranged to have many distinguished men as speakers. As matters now stand, for nothing can be considered definite at such an early date, Marshal Foch, John W. Davis, former Ambassador to England, Irvin S. Cobb, J. C. Squires of the "London Mercury", Alfred E. Zimmern, English historian, and the Indian Strongheart will be among the men who will make addresses.

Marshall Foch will be at the Union some time during his trip to this country, which he intends to visit in November in order to be present at the Armistice celebration of the American Legion. He was unable to come last year, and General Fayolle was the representative of the French Government.

Mr. John W. Davis, A.B. Washington and Lee University of West Virginia, was appointed Ambassador to England in November 1918. Previous to that, from 1911 to 1918, Mr. Davis had been Solicitor General of the United States. In 1906 he was President of the West Virginia Bar Association. He resigned his post in England at the election of President Harding, and is now practicing law in New York.

Irvin S. Cobb Among Speakers

Mr. Irvin S. Cobb is a well-known American humorist. He has been a staff contributor to the "Saturday Evening Post" since 1911; from 1914-1915 and again from 1917-1918, he represented that magazine as war correspondent. He is a Chevalier of the Legion of Honor. Mr. John Collins Squire, English essayist and poet, is the Editor of the English literary magazine, the "London Mercury". Mr. Alfred E. Zimmern, Wilson Professor of International Politics at the University College of Wales, Aberystwyth, Wales, is a prominent author and historian. Among his works is a translation of the first two volumes of Ferrero's "Greatness and Decline of Rome", Strongheart is a representative of the Indian's cause. He particularly advocates the preservation and education of such of his people as still remain in the country.

Among the general plans for next year are extensive ones for the entertaining of visiting teams and colleges, especially of Yale teams at the time of the Harvard-Yale football game next fall. Tea Dances will continue to be held throughout the autumn and spring. There will be more activities centered in the Union during 1921-22, as both the Student Council and the Dramatic Club have rented rooms there. The Student Council room will be the first regular office ever occupied by that body and will serve for a meeting room as well as a place to keep the files.

A special dining room for the use of groups wishing to form club tables will be another feature of the Union next year. The room will be large enough to accomodate six groups of about ten each, and the tables will be reserved exclusively for the clubs. Two applications have already been made, all others must be made this spring or early next fall. The arrangement has been made possible by the fact that the Staplers' Club, which has rented the room for some time, will soon move to another building. In the main dining room the Union will provide a more varied a la carte menu, while keeping prices at a low figure.

The Governing Board will attempt, in every way it can, to make the Union an attractive place for both individuals and groups who visit the University. To some extent because of these purposed changes, the membership fee will next year be raised to $10,00; those who belonged this year, however, may renew their membership for the old price of $7.50 by an early application in the fall