DARTMOUTH WINS GAME IN OPENING THREE INNINGS

Russell Holds Green Batters to Three Runs, After Supplanting Goode on Mound in Second Inning

Before the Dartmouth players came to Cambridge it was suggested that if they won I would be in spite of a lack of pitchers, but one of the most important lectors in their 9-2 victory over the University at Soldiers Field on Saturday was Captain Ross work in the box. Allowing only two hits, in eight innings, passing one man, and striking out four, he held the University team scoreless until the lass few minutes of play. Not until then, at the eleventh hour, with the crowd shouting encouragement, did the Crimson players show power, knocking Ross for four hits, and making these and a wild pitch count for two runs. Murphy, pinch-hitting for Janin, ended the rally with a rounder to pitcher.

Hanover Team Bats Well

There was, however, more to the Green 'eam' than a clever boxman, as air-tight fielding and thirteen hits well testified. Kopi led the batting with a triple, a double, and a single, while Maynard, with three singles to his credit, netted the same average.

The game started badly for the University, for Dartmouth found Goods almost immediately, and clouted his balls at will to any and every part of the field. Unnerved by this, and not backed by a particularly steady team, Goode became wild. Two men hit by pitched balls and two passed made it evident that it was not his day, and he was replaced by Russell in the first half of the second, with two out. It was a difficult situation that Russell faced, but he started by fanning the first batter that came up against him, and for the remaining seven innings, pitching to a confident, hard hitting team, he only allowed three runs and struck out more men than the Dartmouth captain.

Score One In First

The Green's first run, made in the first inning, was the result of Kopf's low, twisttar triple to deep left center, and Maynard's timely single over the second base. In the second, Caswell singled to center field, and Robertson followed suit, both advancing on Grundman's sacrifice bunt, Lincoln to Owen, and crossing the plate on Goode's wild pitch. Browne sent the ball far past. Jahin for three bases; Ross received a pass; Bower also walked, filling the bases. Kopf hit over Emmons, playing close, and Browne and Ross scored. Maynard brought in Bower's run with a single past second. Then Russell went on to the University mound, and struck out Merritt. Kopf having been previously, retired on second, this ended Dartmouth's biggest inning. The University had not yet settled down by the third, and some ragged Fielding gave Dartmouth its seventh tally, which it increased by two in the sixth, bunching three singles and a double.

Stage Rally in Ninth

The University players were powerless at the bat for eight innings, but at the end of the ninth, in an attempt to present a shut-out, they gave some signs of ability. The crowd was about to leave the stands, but stopped for a moment to see it Conion, first man up, could start anything: he did, with a hit past third that was too hot for Kopf to handle. Emerson at second on Lincoln's grounder to Kopf. Owen flied out, Conlon and Lincoln came home on Ross' wild pitch. Hallock and Crocker singled, but Murphy was out, and the game was over.

The summary:

HARVARD.  a.b.  r.  b.h.  p.o.  a.  o.Conion, s.s.  4  1  1  3  3  0Emmons, 2b.  4  0  2  4  2  0Lincoln. 3b.  4  1  0  2  2  0Owen, 1b.  4  0  0  6  0  0Hallock, c.f.  4  0  2  2  1  0Crocker, r.f.  4  0  1  0  0  0Janin, l.f.  3  0  0  2  0  0Blair, c.  2  0  0  7  1  1Goode, p.  0  0  0  1  0  0DARTMOUTH.  a.b.  r.  b.h.  p.o.  a.  eBower, 2b.  3  2  1  5  2  0Kopf, 3b.  5  2  3  0  5  0Maynard, s.s.  5  0  3  1  3  0Merritt, c.  5  0  2  5  0  0Caswell, c.f.  4  1  2  3  0  0Rabertson, 1b.  4  2  1  9  0  0Grundman, r.f.  4  0  0  1  0  0Browne, l.f.  3  1  1  3  0  0Ross, p.  3  1  0  0  3  0Total,  36  9  13  27  13