SELECT THREE EXCHANGE PROFESSORS TO FRANCE

Dean Roscoe Pound, of Law School, Professor J. D. M. Ford, and Professor A. E. Kennelly to Represent Harvard in Europe Next Year

The University plans to send three exchange professors to France next year. They will be Roscoe Pound, Dean of the Law School; Jeremiah D. M. Ford '94, Chairman of the department of Romance Languages; and Arthur E. Kennelly '06, Professor of Electrical Engineering.

Dean Pound and Professor Ford will go as regular representatives of the University. Professor Kennelly will go under the auspices of a committee of American universities interested in exchanging with France professors of engineering and applied science.

First Engineering Professor Chosen

The committee was organized in 1919 at the suggestion of the late Dr. R. C. Maclaurin, President of the Massachusetts Institute, of Technology, and consists of representatives of Columbia, Cornell, the University, Johns Hopkins, Yale, M. I. T. and Pennsylvania, the president of the committee being Director Russell H. Chittenden of Yale. There has been hitherto no regular system of exchange of professors of engineering between France and this country, and the committee was set up to accomplish this purpose. Pro fessor Kennelly is its first out going representative.

In the absence of Dean Pound, Professor Edward H. Warren '95 will serve as acting dean of the Law School.

Roscoe Pound, a native of Nebraska and graduate of the university of that state, accepted a professorship in the Law School in 1910, after teaching law at Nebraska, Northwestern and Chicago Universities. He became dean of the school in 1916. Last June, when the University gave him the honorary degree or LL.D., he was described by President Lowell as "judge, teacher and writer, protean in interest; vindicator of the expansive power of the common law, who has also taken all jurisprudence as his province and mastered it." Dean Pound is also a distinguished botanist.

Has Taught Since 1895

Jeremiah D. M. Ford has taught French and Spanish at the University since 1985, except for a brief period in the nineties when he was in residence at the University of Paris. He holds the famous Smith professorship, previously occupied by Longfellow and James Russell Lowell. He is a fellow the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, and is recognized as one of the leading American authors on Spanish literature.

Arthur E. Kennelly was born at Bombay, educated in England and at Pittsburg and Harvard, served for a time as electrical assistant to Thomas A. Edison, became professor of electrical engineering at the University in 1902, and is also director of electrical research at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. He is a past president of the American Institute of Electrical Engineers and of the Institute of Radio Engineers in New York. He expects to sail for France in June