CRIMSON PLAYERS FACE HARD HITTING WILLIAMS NINE AT 3

UNIVERSITY BATTERY FOR TODAY UNSETTLED

With the two hard games against Princeton' and Brown not yet sunk very far into the background, the University nine will meet another fast opponent in the Williams baseball team on Soldiers Field this afternoon at 3 o'clock. The visitors, it is true, have not won all their games to date, but they have improved considerably since the start of the season and with the veteran pitchers Patton and Holmes, and Benny Boynton leading the attack, will in all probability present a difficult proposition to Coach Slattery's men this afternoon.

Purple Batters Strong

Their weakest point is shaky fielding, and it has been on account of this that they have lost many of their contests, Against both Yale and Princeton the Purple nine played raggedly, chalking up four errors in each game, and losing by the scores of 9-5 and 8-2. On May 19 the Williamstown men lost to Amerherst 8-5, largely due to their six misplays. On the hitting end, however, they are strong. Boynton, who starred at quarter-back for the Purple last football season, is the clean-up batter, and ably fills that position. Ward and Captain Finn are two other reliable stickmen, and the team as a whole has proved itself powerful in the offensive department of the game. Against Lafayette, whom it defeated 2-1 in a brilliant sixteen-inning game it knocked out eleven safeties, and counted seventeen clean hits when it sent Trinity down to a 21-5 defeat on May 21. On Monday it made only one less single than Amherst, however, and lost 8-7 in a close eleven-inning contest.

The line-up of the University team for today's contest is not certain. Goode, who has had a rest since the Princeton game, would seem the obvious choice in the box, except for the fact that the approaching struggle with the University of Pennsylvania promises to make the Crimson need its most powerful combination. Russell, therefore, will probably get the call, although he twirled part of Monday's contest against Brown.