YEARLINGS GAIN 6-3 WIN OVER HUNTINGTON

Score Twice in Opening Session and Hit Consistently Through Entire Game--Face Strong Exeter Nine This Afternoon at 3 o'Clock

Taking advantage of a fielder's choice and a single to get two men on base, and profiting by their opponents' costly errors, the Freshman baseball players brought two runs across the plate in the first inning of their game with Huntington School yesterday afternoon on Soldiers Field and jumped to an early lead that the visitors were not able to top throughout the rest of the contest, which ended in a 6-3 Crimson victory. It was a fielder's choice that sent Rogers to first, and an error that allowed him to gain second; it was the failure of the Huntington right fielder to stop his single that let Larrabee, after the had reached first, continue on his round of the bases till he scored. Nevertheless, the counting in that first inning was not a matter of luck, for the yearlings gathered two singles and a double during that session.

They kept on hitting till the end of the game, knocking the opposing pitcher, Glennon, for nine safeties in all. Grovesnor Bemis, who was in the Freshman box for a whole game for the first time this year, made a creditable performance, holding Huntington to seven hits and fanning eight men. In this latter phase, however, he was not as brilliant as his opponent who had ten strike-outs to his credit. Percy Jenkins, with three singles, and R. G. Norris with two, led the 1924 attack, while Glennoh, who besides pitching for Huntington batted in the clean-up position for that team, featured with a triple to left center.

The visitors did most of their scoring in the fifth, when three bunches hits counted two runs. They gained one tally before that, in the third, on a hit, a sacrifice and an error by Jenkins. The yearlings had also scored one run in the fourth, and soon broke the 3-3 tie in the fifth by getting two counts in their half of the inning.

The line-ups:

1924.--C.F., Lewis Gordon; s.s. Percy Jenkins; l.f, A. S. Rogers; C., L. C. Larrabee; r.f., T. M. Carnegie; 3b., F. S. Hill; 1b., R. G. Norris; 2b., R. P. Bullard and Harrison Gardner; p., Grovesnor Bemis.

Huntington.--C.f., Knight; l.f., Temple; 2b., Dalton; p., Glennon; c., Woodman; 1b., Cochrane; 3b., Flaherg and Norris; s.s., Tyles; r.f., McIsac.

Score by innings:   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 r.  h.  e. 1924  2  0  0  1  2  1  0  0  0--6  9  4 Hunt'ton  0  9  1  0  2  0  0  0  0--3  7  7

Yearlings Play Exeter Today

This afternoon at 3 o'clock the Freshmen will play their already twice-postponed game with Exeter. The schoolboys have a strong team with Van Lengen a brilliant pitcher, and several powerful batters. For the yearlings, K. N. Hill of E. L. Gherke will be in the box, and the rest of the line-up will be unchanged. In fact, the 1924 team seems at last to have found its most effective combination, and its greatest efforts are now being concentrated on developing that combination's strength to the highest point. That some success is being attained in this is proved by the fact that more than one member of the outfit is steadily improving in the all-important batting department of the game; R. G. Norris and T. M. Carnegie have been particularly noticeable in this.

Yearlings Play Exeter Today