UNIVERSITY FACES HOLY CROSS NINE IN RETURN GAME

Goode in Box Will Try to Repeat Victory of 1919--Captain Emmons Out of Game Because of Injuries

For the second time this season the University will face Holy Cross this afternoon at Worcester, in what promises to be a real team for the Crimson, for the Worcester nine is conceded to be the leading college team of the year. In the first game of the series played on May 2 they triumphed over the University by the close margin of 3-1. Since then they have split even in a series with Yale and have vanquished, among others, Dartmouth, New Hampshire State, Georgetown and Vermont. In a slugging match yesterday they downed Syracuse 16-7.

The strength of the Holy Cross team lies in its perfect balance and its unusually strong pitching staff, composed of Tunney, who was given decisions over the University and Yale in the same week, Horan, Gill and McLaughlin. Each of them has taken active part in making the good record of the team. Tunney, who is a Freshman, will probably be the choice of Coach Jack Barry, former Red Sox star, in today's game. Behind him will be a team of sluggers as well as steady and flashy fielding players. Maguire is perhaps the heaviest hitter and is likewise a power of the first-class about second base. Santoro, Simendinger, and the Dugan brothers are considerably above the ordinary.

Defeated Yale Two Out of Three

The result of today's contest will be of especial interest to those who wish to predict the comparative strength of the Crimson and Blue nines, for the latter, although defeated twice earlier in the season, batted its way to a 7-3 victory on June 1. The two games next week for the University, against Fordham and Tufts, are the last before the Yale series.

Goode will be on the mound for the University. He was very effective in the first game, but the poor support of his infield was fatal. Goode pitched a 1-0 victory over the Worcester men in 1919. Captain Emmons will be unable to play on account of his injured foot, although he will be back at second next week. Buell, who has been general utility man all season, will substitute for him. He has been hitting consistently when given the opportunity, Crocker will be in right field and Murphy behind the plate.