ADMIRAL SIMS

It is rather unfortunate, to say the least, that members of the national government are so intimidated by the clamor of a small minority of our population that they undertake to censure Admiral Sims for his recent speech in London, by revoking his leave of absence, and demanding an explanation of his statements. Granted that his remarks were a trifle indiscreet, and that they offered offense to a certain racial and political element in this country; what of it? Admiral Sims was speaking as a private citizen, advancing his own ideas on the matter, and it is inconceivable that the Navy Department should punish him for so doing. If his words had disrupted official relations between England and America. It would have been another matter, but this they did not do; the fact is quite the contrary. Besides, what he said was a small thing in itself; if our so-called "yellow press" and our Irish politicians had not raised such a hue and cry, it would have gone unnoticed.

Now, however, it has grown beyond the stage where the matter can be dropped. The Admiral has been insulted by his traducers, his naval record in the war has been assailed, and it has even been proposed that he be expatriated. It is but justice to him that there should be an impartial investigation, to determine whether his statements were true or false. If, and only if, they are proved false, he should be punished; but if it is shown that he spoke the truth, he should be vindicated, and those who now attack him should be forced to retract their charges. Admiral Sims' statements embodied the ideas of a great number of American citizens, and did no harm, except, perhaps, to a few consciences. But after so loud a cry of "Scandal!", it is but fair that some attempt should be made to determine whether or not that cry is based upon correct premises.