Living on Nerve

COMMENT

"America is full of doctors and nerves," says a French physician touring the United States. "I think there are more doctors in Seattle than in all of France," he continues. "I find the American people delightful, generous and interesting, but frightfully given to nerves. They tire their nerves and then rush to a doctor."

There is food for thought in the statement of this French doctor, particularly when he says. "The Americans make work of their play and consequently it is not relaxation."

It is probably true that the race is fastest in University circles where study, work, societies and activities are all crowded into a short day. And nowhere will one find truer the accusation that we make work of play. Of course no one expects to see young people in the prime of life conducting themselves as if they were sixty. But, nevertheless, there is such a thing as forming a habit of play that will stay with us all our life.

Theodore Roosevelt advocated the strenuous life and Thomas Edison says that four hours' sleep is enough, but we have a right to our own opinion upon the subject. If living a strenuous life means being continually ill it would be better to settle down to a reasonable gait and enjoy life more and longer. Perhaps we would then need fewer doctors. --University of Washington Daily.