UNIVERSITY NINE TO PLAY MAROON

Has Defeated Powerful Aggregations and Lost to Weaker Teams--Defeated Boston College Yesterday 11-8

With the experience of twenty-eight contests behind it, the Fordham University baseball team comes to Soldiers Field this afternoon primed for the final game of its season. The nines will go on to the field at 3 o'clock for the struggle that will in all probability be an unusually close one.

The most outstanding thing about the visiting team has been its unsteadiness. It has gone through its season in a most temperamental manner, sometimes defeating powerful aggregations, sometimes losing to teams generally considered its inferiors. As an example of the latter may be considered the contest it lost to the weak Columbia nine, while its drubbing of Boston College yesterday afternoon by the score of 11-8 was a proof of what the Maroon men can show when they so wish. The victory over Boston College was typical of the team's record in more than one way; the New York nine was ahead 11-0 at the first of the eighth, but the combination of a slump by the visiting team and a desperate rally by the Boston players brought the losers' score up to eight runs. In the University, Fordham will find another team that has the formidable rallying habit.

The Maroon outfit, as it will go on the field today, has been formed around a nucleus of six veterans,--Captain Halloran, Donovan, Cousineau, McLoughlin and McNamara and Cullotin, pitchers. Of these two, McNamara, a left-hander, who won an 11-5 victory over Princeton on June 8, will probably have the call. Cousineau and Fallon, who have hit consistently all season, are the two most powerful men in the Fordham attack.

When the University takes the field, Russell will be in the box, with Janin and Crocker in the left and right field areas. Captain Emmons will probably be back at second base, but it is possible that his foot will still keep him out of the game.