CRIMSON LOSES IN TWELFTH, 4-3

Granite State Pitcher Presents Almost Impregnable Front to University Batters--Visitor Knocks Home Run

By a great eleventh-hour rally the Vermont baseball team, after fighting a long up-hill battle, pulled to the lead over the University nine yesterday afternoon at Soldiers Field and won a gruelling, twelve-session struggle by the score of 4-3. Sprinkled by innings that yielded tremendous excitement, the game on the whole was tightly-played and fast. The pitching of Newton, the visiting boxman, was the most notable defensive work of the contest; allowing the Crimson only nine hits, giving only two passes, and fanning six men, he presented, for eleven innings, and almost impregnable front to the University batters. In the attack the Granite State men also led, Tryon starring with two singles and the longest home run seen on Soldiers Field this season.

The University nine was handicapped by the absence of Captain Emmons, who temporarily is out of the game with a bad foot that may make him unavailable for the Holy Cross contest on Saturday. Buell, who took his place at second, although playing there for the first time this season, performed creditably. Hallock, in center field, proved a veritable bulwark to the Crimson defence. Time after time he made running catches of flies that looked like sure hits; in the eleventh he cut off two bids for long safeties by plays that brought the crowd to its feet.

Crimson Scores Three Runs

The first-inning was the Crimson one. Vermont had been retired with only one man having reached first, and Lincoln, lead-off hitter for the University, had been put out, Conlin to McGinnis, when the home team began to show its power. Hallock received a pass and advanced to second on Conlon's safety between Brock and the second bag. Owen's short fly dropped untouched between Sullivan, Burns and Conlin, and the bases were full. Janin, however, tapped an easy one to Harris, Vermont third baseman, allowing the latter to throw Hallock out at home. Conlon and Owen had both advanced on this play, and they crossed the plate when Murphy was safe on his scratch hit along the first base line. Crocker scored Janin with a pretty single to left center.

Three runs in the first session looked promising for the University, but that was all they were to make. The rest of the game's scoring was done by Vermont. Their first two runs came in the fourth, when, with McGinnis on first, Tryon, visiting right fielder, crashed his terrific homer over Hallock's head as far as the Freshman diamond, tallying before the ball had been relayed back to the infield.

The run that tied the score came partly as the result of shaky fielding by the University. Spillane, second man up for Vermont in the eighth, reached first on the fielder's choice that retired Tryon, who had been hit by a pitched ball, at second. Then Brock slammed a hard liner at Russell; it bounced off his glove, and as the Crimson pitcher was trying to recover himself for the throw, he slipped and fell. Spiliane and Brock executed a pretty double steal, and Conlin walked, filling the bases. Spiliane easily scored on Newton's sacrifice fly to Hallock. The latter's throw slipped past Murphy, but was scooped up by Russell, who threw to Buell on second in an attempt to catch Conlin stealing. The throw was wild, but Conlon's timely backing kept it from letting in a run.

After this, however, Coach Slattery's men steadied down, and held their opponents scoreless for the next inning. On the other hand, they failed to tally themselves, and so the game went to extra sessions. Both teams continually made desperate efforts to bring in runs, but brilliant fielding stopped every rally, Harris and Conlin featuring for the Vermont team, and Hallock for the Crimson. In the beginning of the twelfth, however, the visitors made their final effort, and brought in their fourth tally, Burns, who had doubled to center, scoring on Brock's neat clout to left. The University proved powerless in its half, and the game ended with the Granite State nine on the long end of the score.

The summary:

Harvard  a.b.  r.  b.h.  p.o.  a.  o.Lincoln, 3b.  6  0  0  5  2  0Hallock, c.f.  5  0  1  8  0  0Conlon, s.s.  4  4  1  4  0  0Owen, 1b.  4  1  2  9  0  0Janin, l.f.  5  1  1  3  0  0Murphy, c.  5  0  1  5  0  0Crooker, r.f.  5  0  1  0  0  0Buell, 2b.  5  0  1  2  3  1Russell, p.  3  0  1  0  5  0Thayer  1  0  0  0  0  0Total,  43  3  9  36  10  1Vermont  a.b.  r.  b.h.  p.o.  a.  o.Sullivan, c.f.  4  0  0  1  0  0Harris, 3b.  5  0  0  3  5  2McGinnis, 1b.  5  1  0  15  0  0Burns, l.f.  6  4  2  5  0  0Tryon, r.f.  5  1  3  0  0  0Spiliane, c.  6  1  0  9  0  0Brock, 2b.  6  0  3  3  3  1Conlin, s.s.  5  0  1  0  4  1Newton, p.  4  0  2  0  4  0Total.  46  4  11  36  16