A FLYING START

Yale is "hopeful--full of determination." Princeton is confident--rich in material"--so say the sport critics. And Harvard?--Not a great deal being said in Cambridge but practice being held fairly regularly. A good way to start the season; little talk and plenty of work. Another feature of the gridiron situation which is already apparent is the schedule which starts today with a new scheme, the double-header. Last year West Point found it a very satisfactory way to give a big squad a chance to get into action, and if the Crimson workers find it equally successful, the two-game opener should become a regular part of the football schedule. Aside from this, the striking feature of the Fall program is the abandonment of the policy of easy-going development that led up to the Yale game in November. No matter what the material may be now, there will be experienced football men in the line-up after Center, Indiana and Penn State have left Cambridge. Furthermore, to the spectator the prospect of these mid-season contests makes the present schedule the most welcome in years.

This is no time for prophecies. But one, coming from Jimmy Knox last year is still to the point: "The success or failure of the season will depend very, very largely upon the undergraduate body. We can only win if there are some red-blooded, he-men around Cambridge who can parallel the group who wouldn't accept anything but victory from 1912 to 1915."

And Coach Knox was right again when he said that, "there is a lot more satisfaction in celebrating a victory that in hunting up an alibi for a defeat."