ALL ENROLLMENT RECORDS BROKEN

Law School Has Large Entering Class--Business School Registration Also Record--Complete Figures not Known

Enrollment records at the University were smashed right and left when the 286th year started yesterday. Figures made public last night showed that the Freshman class is the largest that ever came to the College and that the total College enrollment is likewise a record-breaker, while many other departments of the University reported large gains.

The Freshman class, according to the statistics of the first day's registration, numbers 856 men, as against 621 a year ago and 739 in 1911, the year in which the previous record was set by the incoming class of 1915. Part of the increase was due to a change in the method of classifying men transferring from other colleges, after a year or more of college work, which threw into the Freshman class of 1915. Part of the increase was due to a change in the method of classifying men transferring from other colleges, after a year or more of college work, which threw into the Freshman class 93 of the 175 men, who in previous year would have been listed as "unclassified students". But even without these 93 men, the Freshman class would have been a record-breaker with an enrollment of 763.

Registration by Classes Given

The total registration for the College was 2620, as against 2532 last year and 2582 in 1916, when the previous record was set. The enrollment by classes was as follows: Freshmen, including 93 transferred students,  856 Sophomores, including 69 transfers,  660 Juniors, including 13 transfers,  650 Seniors,  413 Out-of-course students,  41 Total for College,  2620

While definite figures for the enrollment in other departments of the University were not available last night, it was reported that the Law School had a very large entering class, probably the largest in its history, and that the Engineering School was larger than ever before despite a stiffening of entrance requirements. In the Medical School and Graduate School of Business Administration, both of which are forced to limit the size of their entering classes, the limit was reached yesterday, the Business School reporting that despite the limitation of the first-year class to 300, the unusual size of the second-year class brought the total for the School to a record figure.

The Graduate School of Education began its second year with more full time students than last year, and with the final number of part-time students still in doubt. The Graduate School of Arts and Sciences made a slight gain over the first day's registration last year.

Complete figures for all departments of the University will not be given out for several days, as in some there are a considerable number of late registrations.