FIRST CREW TO GO ON RIVER THIS AFTERNOON

Three Oarsmen Lost From Last Year's Boat--Tentative Eight Only one Out Today--111 Yearling Candidates Report at Meeting

The University and Freshman fall rowing season will get under way this afternoon when candidates for University and Class crews report at Newell Boathouse at four o'clock and Freshman oarsmen at Weld at the times assigned them at yesterday's meeting. A tentative first eight will be the only University shell to go out on the river today. Of the oarsmen who rowed against Yale in June, three will be missing from the boat this fall: M. E. Olmsted '21, Sherman Damon '21, and Lawrence Terry '22. Coxswain E. L. Peirson '21 has also gone.

At the Freshman crew meeting held last night for enrollment, 111 men reported, and were addressed by Captain L. B. McCagg Jr. '22, Mr. Herbert Haltie and Dr. R. H. Howe Jr. '01. The first speakers emphasized the discipline and spirit of last year's Freshman crew and urged their example upon the 1925 men. In the course of Mr. Haines' talk he said in speaking of the 1924 spirit: "If you equal it you will be doing exceptionally well; if you better it, so much the better for you and your crew."

Dr. Howe explained the plans for the fall season. The 30 experienced oarsmen were organized into crews last night and will be put on the river in wide shells with fixed seats for the first two weeks of practice, after which they will be given the regular shells with slides. The inexperienced candidates will practice on the machines in Weld for the first two weeks and then will be given the wide shells with fixed seats in which they will probably row for the remainder of the fall season. As in former years, there seems to be a dearth of Freshman coxswains. Dr. Howe wishes all men who wish to compete for this position to do so this fall. They should report at Weld Boathouse this afternon at 3.30 o'clock.

More manager candidates from the classes of 1924 and 1925 are needed. Men who report at Grays 12 at 1.05 today will be under no disadvantage in the competition. For Sophomores, the contest for the position of second assistant manager will last till about Christmas, while six weeks will be the limit of the competition for 1925.