R. D. SIAS 3S.L.A. WINNER OF TOPIARIAN CLUB COMPETITIONS

Trophy Awarded for Best Design For Formal Italian Garden--Langhorne and Ellot Win Prizes

First place in the annual competition for the Topiarian Club Trophy, open to students in the School of Landscape Architecture has been awarded to Richard Dean Sias 3S.L.A., of Corona, California. Second and third places went respectively to Herbert Devall Langhorne 1S.L.A., of Alameda, California, and Charles William Eliot 2nd. 2S.L.A., of Cambridge. Honorable mention was given to Malcolm Howard Dill 2S.L.A., of Richmond, Indiana.

The fifteen drawings submitted were judged yesterday afternoon by a jury consisting of Professor J. S. Pray '95, Professor R. W. Curtis of Cornell University, Mr. A. A. Shurtleff '96 of Boston, a member of the visiting committee from the Board to the School, Mr. Carl R. Parker, Treasurer of the American Society of Landscape Architecture, and Professor H. V. Hubbard '97.

The competition was a problem in landscape design. The competitors were furnished with a topographic map of a given piece of property in an attractive Massachusetts town, on which a house, somewhat in the Italian style, had already been erected. The owner wished to construct a formal garden of some distinction according with the style of the house, of which a photograph was furnished the competitors.