"THE YOUNG VISITERS"

As announced today in the news column, the CRIMSON will hereafter publish each monday a list of all lectures in courses given by the Faculty of Arts and Sciences which the instructor feels may be of interest to men not enrolled in the course. The extent to which this new feature can be developed is of course limited by two things,-the number of announcements which are sent us by the faculty and the amount of space available. To the instructors we can promise that for the present at least we will be able to take care of all notices which are sent in, and we hope that they will co-operate with us in starting this service.

perhaps to some of our readers it may seem that there is no demand for announcements of this character. Let us briefly state the assumption on which we are proceeding.

The multiplication of courses has at present gone so far that the seventeen courses taken by the undergraduate represent but a small portion of the educational opportunities which are offered here. Many men go through college and, through no fault of their own, come in contact even in the lecture hall with relatively few of proffessors of faculty.

But there is one saving circumstance for the busy student-the privllege of visiting extra courses. By this means, he may secure the ideas of an authority on any subject he may find interest, without paying for the course, without doing the outside work unless he chooses, and with the minimum time expenditure of two or three hours a week. It is an approcah to the education-in-tablet-form for which our intellect-chemists have long been searching. Certainly a cursory gllimpse of the subject is better than complete ignorance. But even in visiting there is a necessity for selection. Time and conflicting course often interfer, while in many cases a man may not care to cover an entire subject in this way, but only special aspects of it, occasional lectures to fill out gaps in his knowledge or to give him a more detailed idea or a subject merely touched on else where in general course.

If this is true, anything which can be done to help the undergraduate in this selection by making available information about the "current attractions" of the lecture halls, must be serving a real purpose.