THE GENOE CONFERENCE

The government at Washington has not yet announced its decision as to participation in the proposed Economic Conference at Genoa. During its two years in office the administration has not had any definitely formulated foreign policy, but it is evident that this intest question will necessitate a definite stand. In consideration of the manner in which the European nations generally have jumped at the opportunity, particularly Russia, who is reported to have accepted even before the invitations to join in the conference reached her--all thoughtful persons are probably pleased that Mr. Harding is not similarly subject to conference-mania. He is wisely waiting until the public becomes accustomed to the idea of this latest proposal, and until a reaction, in the form of an expression of opinion, has come about.

From his negative attitude it may be inferred that the administration is in favor of the Conference. The history of the inception and execution of the idea of the Washington deliberations shows that, curiously enough, this is the method to be followed in making up the collective mind of the nation if there is to be any support when actual participation is decided upon. And obviously the position of America at any conference is greatly strengthened if it is known that the delegates have the backing of the people.

Another fact which justifies careful consideration is that the present Conference is not concluded. It has been successful in that Mr. Hughes's proposals have been adopted almost without exception; it will not be soon forgotten that this success is due very largely to the carefully formulated plans which had been completed before the convention of the delegates. With this example so freshly in mind neither Mr. Harding nor any of his advisors would advocate thoughtless acceptance of an invitation to another parley. The benefit which may result from any conference can never be decided beforehand. A knowledge of at least the main topics of the agenda, however, are somewhat of a guide; and in this case the most important seem to be a consideration of the reparations problem, of the barriers raised to trade by the exchange rate, and of the effect on sensitive nations of the land armament ratio--in other words of the undoubtedly superior position in this respect held by France. That the administration will send delegates to the Genoa conference, if it materializes is entirely possible. But until the solution of the final problems of the present one is clearly in view and until we have assurance of time to have this country's attitude a planned well ahead-and planned with a knowledge of the vital points of the agenda--no official acceptance may be expected.