SUCCESSFUL TRIP BY SODALITY ORCHESTRA

Concerts Given in Providence, New York and Washington on First Extensive Tour Ever Made by Pierian--Madame Helen Stanley Assists

The Pierian Sodality Orchestra concluded an extensive tour with a concert at the National Theatre, Washington, D. C. last week. The first of its kind ever attempted by the orchestra, the trip, according to prominent newspaper critics in the various cities, was a success.

The first program, presented at Infantry Hall, Providence, on December 23, under the auspices of the Harvard Club of Rhode Island, took the form of a "pop" concert, and was well received.

The members of the orchestra spent the next three days at the Vanderbilt Hotel in New York, staged a dress rehearsal at Carnegie Hall on the morning of Monday, December 26, and that evening, in spite of unfavorable conditions, a large audience filled the hall for the second performance of the tour. Madame Helen Stanley, of the Chicago Opera Company, was the soloist, and gave a selection of six songs, being accompanied in "Panis Angelicus" by Clair Leonard '23 on the organ and George Brown '25 on the cello.

From New York the members of the Sodality proceeded to Washington, D. C., where at the National Theatre the third and final concert was given. Mme. Stanley again assisted as soloist.

The Washington "Star", in commenting on the unusual impression created by the orchestra, made the following statement:

"At the conclusion of the concert the audience did an unusual thing. It remained seated and called back Walter Piston, the conductor, three times. Apparently they were satisfied that under the continued masterful leadership of Mr. Piston, the present Harvard Orchestra bids fair to secure a place in the exclusive small circle of distinguished amateurs."