CONSTRUCTING SHELL FOR USE OF UNIVERSITY CREW

Lutz Building It in Newell Workshop--Based on Crowningshield's Plan--Men Planning to Report for Crew to Sign Up at Leavitt and Peirce's

William Lutz, for the past few years rigger for the University crews, is at present engaged in building an eight-oared shell, which is probably to be used by the University crew this spring, Lutz, who was connected with Davy, the well known shipbuilder for ten years, is constructing the boat on a plan made by Crowningshield, the yacht designer.

The specifications of the boat are very similar to those of a shell which was designed for the University by Crowning shield in 1910. The new boat will be 18 inches longer, 61 1-2 feet in all, and an inch deeper, 10 1-2 inches in all; it will be 23 inches in width. The rigging of the shell is being worked out under the direction of members of the Rowing Committee.

Providing they do not interfere with the actual work of building, the coaches are very anxious to have oarsmen visit the Nowell Workshop, where the boat is being made, in order to learn something of the construction of a shell.

To facilitate the early organization of crew this year, the coaches desire the names and weights of all men who expect to be candidates for the University and class crews this spring. A bluebook will be available at Leavitt and Peirce's today and all oarsmen are requested to sign promptly.