"THROUGH TARA'S HALLS"

The much discussed treaty has been ratified by the Dail Eireann, and the Irish Free State has come into existence. The ghosts of a long line of Irish patriots should be laid, and something akin to permanent peace brought to the land of Killarney. The treaty embodies practically every point for which Irish orators and statesmen have labored since before the time of Gladstone, even down to an acceptable settlement of the status of Ulster.

The only question that now remains is whether the Irish can throw off their pugnacious habits and establish a smooth-running form of government. This might very well be possible were it not for one circumstance: DeValera and his discontents. The "President of the Irish Republic" has fought the treaty tooth and nail, and to all intents and purposes will continue to do so. Why he should feel the way he does is no great problem. He is first and foremost an egitator who lives on the troubles of others; to establish peace in Ireland would leave him, frankly, out of a job. Even the fact that the majority of his aims have been accomplished leaves him unmoved. So long as he continues to be "patriotic", there is one thing certain; the Irish will not have to look far when they feel in the need of a strenuous argument.

There is another beneficial effect which will accrue from the treaty. Besides settling affairs to some extent in Great Britain, it should relieve this country of its horde of propagandists and over zealous Irish enthusiasts. Perhaps for a time we may be allowed to direct our own business undisturbed. The professional "anti-Britisher" will of course discover immediately a strange sympathy with India and the followers of Ghandi; but it is difficult to see where the Irish-Americans have any excuse for further agitation. It is to be hoped that they themselves will look at things in the same light, but this is a case where only time can tell.