PROSPECTS BRIGHT FOR 1922 SOCCER SEASON

Many Veterans of Last Year's Team Available--Game With Amherst on Saturday--Freshman Eleven Needs More Candidates.

With the opening game with Amherst only three days away, the University soccer squad is rapidly rounding into shape under the supervision of Coach W. R. Welch.

The prospects for an intercollegiate team this fall are very bright, with several of last year's letter-men and the major part of the 1925 Freshman team on hand. The forward line is especially strong, with Captain R. W. Heizer '23, Corlise Lamont '24, J. M. Begg '24, A. J. Byington '24, Harry Eldridge '24, J. F. Mersereau '25, and W. B. Pringle Jr. '25, all leading contenders for positions. R. M. C. Greenidge '24, H. L. Hartley '23, John Pallo '23, W. N. Tuttle '24, and F. C. Wale '25 are the outstanding back field candidates. About 25 men have been reporting daily for practice and it is planned to use a large number of substitutes in the game Saturday, in order to give the new men a chance to show their worth.

The Freshman eleven has been practicing daily with the University squad on Soldiers Field. As only about fifteen men have been reporting regularly for practice, the management has called more candidates in preparation for the opening game, which will probably be played in about two weeks.