WHY THE GIANTS WON

Important privileges are being daily usurped by an ever growing body of thoughtless students. It is becoming impossible to sleep, not only in one's own room but even in the New Lecture Hall. What justification is there for the man in the row behind who, in going to sleep himself, prevents his neighbors from doing so by his snoring? Nor does he confine himself to disturbing passively his neighbors and the professor. As soon as the bell rings, in fact often a few minutes before, he ostentatiously awakens with loud, prolonged clapping.

The psychology of the situation is very puzzling. Assuming, of course, that he has dire need of sleep, (or else he would not forego listening to the lecture), why does he snore? Is this the result of a complex, a guilty conscience or a bad meal? In any case, were he not to choose such a conspicuous way of rousing himself, we could all sympathize heartily. There is nothing like a good rest now and then with nothing to disturb.

Does he clap, as a child does, because of happiness or glee, or does he believe in latter-day advertising methods? Formerly applause here in College was given in a miserly fashion for lectures of exceptional brilliance. Now it comes, spontaneous and carefree, with all the joyous abandon of a front-row benchman at a political meeting. Some do not even have the decency to wait until the lecturer has departed before showing their enthusiasm.

Something ought to be done. If these outbursts of infantile joy cannot be restrained, they can be diverted into more fecund channels. After all, clapping is purely mechanical, a very inadequate outlet for self-expression. Why not, instead, concerted singing of that familiar old song?

"Lecture period's over and we are going home.

Hooray! Hooray!

Be always kind and true."

(About the Giants: they won because they played better baseball.)