A WIZARD OF ORGANIZATION

The University joins in congratulating the Institute of Technology on the election of its new head. Dr. Stratton's brilliant career as Director of the Bureau of Standards at Washington is recognized internationally.

In Secretary Hoover's words, "the loss of Dr. Stratton as head of the Bureau of Standards is a real national loss. He has built up that service from a bureau devoted to scientific determination of weights and measurements to a great physical laboratory cooperating with American industry and commerce in the solution of many problems of enormous value to industry which commercial laboratories . . . have been unable to undertake."

Dr. Stratton's work in many fields makes his career read like the romance of a guiding genius of organization. Broadening the Bureau of Standards to reach almost every phase of human activity; serving as lieutenant in the Navy in the Spanish war; building up the industry of manufacturing optical glass; perfecting the various types of planes flown in the army and navy;--these are only a few of his varied interests.

The Institute of Technology is fortunate in having secured for its President a man at once so eminent in the field of science and at the same time deeply interested in developing student activities and the human side of college life.