FIRST GENERAL WORK TO BEGIN ON RIVER TODAY

Almost 300 Will Start Crew Practice Under Direction of Various Coaches--Exceptionally Large Number Registered for Class Crews

The Weld and Newell boat-houses will be filled this afternoon when candidates for the Freshman and upper-class squads report at their respective quarters for the first general work on the Charles.

Close to 300 men are scheduled to start crew work in some form or another and with the men now rowing on the two University crews the number laps well over the 300 mark.

140 upper-classmen are due at Newell to take up practice under Coaches E. J. Brown '96 and William Haines, the former having charge of class crew candidates while the latter moulds the 150-pound material. The Freshmen will be divided into two squads the experienced oarsmen being under Dr. Howe, while Coach Bert Haines will take over the green material. All men intending to try for positions on either the Freshman or University 150-pound eights will report to Coach William Haines this afternoon--Freshmen before 3.30 o'clock at Weld, upper-clasmen after 3.30 o'clock at Newell.