SOLICITOR-GENERAL TO SPEAK FOR REPUBLICANS

Mr. J. M. Beck Will Share Platform at Union With Lieutenant-Colonel Roosevelt--Has Had Long Legal and Political Career

Mr. James Montgomery Beck, Solicitor-General of the United States, has been secured by the Republican Club to speak at the Union next Tuesday night, October 24, in addition to Lieutenant-Colonel Roosevelt

Mr. Beck is a native of Pennsylvania, and a graduate of Moravian College, Bethlehem, in the class of 1880. He was admitted to the bar in 1884, and 12 years later became United States Attorney for the eastern district of Pennsylvania. From 1900 to 1903 he served under President Roosevelt '80 as Assistant Attorney General of the United States. In 1921 he was appointed to his present position as Solicitor-General.

Mr. Beck is the author of several legal and economic books, among the best known of which are "The Evidence in the Case", 1914; "War and Humanity", 1916; "The Reckoning", 1918; and "The Passing of the New Freedom", 1920. He is an Officer of the Legion of Honor (France), Commander of the Order of the Crown (Belgium), and Member of the Societe des Gens de Lettre (France).