TO SPEAK ON JAPANESE PRINTS AT FOGG TODAY

Mr. A. D. Ficke '04 Will Discuss Subject in Connection With Exhibition Which Will be on Display Until November 1--Lecture at 4.30 o'Clock

This afternoon at 4.30 in the Lecture Room of the Fogg Art Museum, Mr. Arthur Davison Ficke '04, Curator of Japanese Prints, will give a talk on Japanese Prints, in connection with the Exhibition now, being shown at the Museum. The Lecture will be open to the public.

The Exhibition of prints lent by Mr. Ficke will remain at the Museum only about a week longer--until November 1. The prints shown are unusually fine examples of the art of color printing, that art which is "almost the only purely Japanese art and the only graphic record of popular Japanese life. Therefore it may be regarded as the most definitely national of all the forms of expression used by the Japanese--an art which they alone in the history of the world have brought to perfection".

The Exhibition includes a number of "pillar-prints"--tall narrow sheets designed to provide pictures to decorate the wooden pillar of the Japanese house. This shape taxed all the resources of the designer, demanding the exclusion of all but a few significant lines.