HE WHO COMMANDS

While England has, with an audible sign of relief, exchanged an erratic genius for a recognized party regime. Italy has discovered a man. "The right man for the emergency" is a phrase quoted by habitual optimists. Like all such phrases, however, it frequently fails to hold true. To be sure, above the turbulent noises of war some fortunate countries heard the voice of a master. With the British armies reduced to the most extreme danger from lack of shells. England, appalled at the vastness of the problem baulked at the undertaking till she found, in her recently rejected Premier a breadth of vision and a driving force to inspire her disunited industrialism and in turn her thousand cities into one munitions factory. And later, when the Allies, disappointed of victory, by every other expedient, turned to that of unified command, by the will of the gods, they found a commander. All this is true, and these are but examples. Equally true is it that others apparently "men of the hour" with splendid schemes conceived, have through lack of some essential quality, failed of success; Kerensky, for instance, to come no nearer our own shores. But to her sorrow Italy has for the last decade, not been gladdened by even a glorious failure. She can boast of many men of talent but, if we except d'Annunzio's captivating but obstructive insanity, none of genius.

It was full time that it was her turn, and in her worst despair, from the chaos of industrial strife, class enmity and communistic threats she has evolved a system and a leader, or rather, a leader who has created a system. Now, on the surge of the conquering tide of that system Signor Mussolini has been swept into power and the world has been galvanized by his first official utterance. With complete confidence in his party and in himself he has chosen to honor the king, respect the Senate, but to challenge the Chamber.

Intent as Cromwell, on governing if possible by constitutional form, he seems as impatient of stupid obstruction and as conscious of his unassailable position at the head of a government that "has its roots deep in the conscience of the people". Like Oliver too, he is a great believer in work, discipline, and the efficacy of the military. He intends to increase the armed forces for an internal and external reserve and to administer impartially for industrial settlement and domestic order. To foreign nations he will offer the option of giving Italy equal voice with her allies in international affairs or of forcing that country to resume her freedom of action.

Signor Mussolini may well ask God for help in a most arduous task. He must prove his words the prediction of a new era of statesmanship, not the evanescent promises of a power-intoxicated demagogue. Meanwhile there is no question who is in control. The 300,000 Black Shirts, it is interesting to note, are not inside the walls of the city. More remarkable is the Premier's statement that the government will show its strength against anyone, even against the Fascisti, if they break the laws of the country." Of his party and himself Signor Mussolini appears to have no doubt which is the stronger.