THE LIBERAL ORGAN

"'How about a game of cards?' said Milton Perkins as he walked into the study of his friend Jerry Sawyer.

"'Oh, I'd rather not, Mil, if you don't mind. I'm tired of wasting my time. It's an awful bore, just fooling around with the fellows and studying.'

"'I guess you're right, Jerry old man,' said Milton. 'We're not much more than a bunch of loafers, are we?"

"'I wish we could think of something to do for the school,' continued Jerry, 'something that would make the school enternally grateful to us, you know, something big.'

"'Well, the school hasn't got any magazine,' suggested Milton. 'It might be a pretty good idea to start one up, don't you think?"

"'Gee, Mil, that's just the thing!' exclaimed Jerry enthusiastically. 'We can be the charter editors: I'll be the editor-in-chief, and you can be my assistant. A magazine is just what the school needs. It'll be an opportunity to discover literary geniuses, and a chance for the fellows to express their opinions about things. And we can advise the school about setting problems when they come up. For the school, Mil, we'll be doing it. Are you with me?'

"'Yes, Jerry, for the school,' said Milton, and thereupon the two friends, with their eyes shining in high resolve, shook each other's hands in staunch agreement.

"Thus, by the two boys Milton Perkins and Jerry Sawyer, was the now famous 'Tom-cat' started on its beneficial career."

So reads the story of the saving of St. Thomas's and the rise of the great names of Perkins and Sawyer. And with a resolve equally high many a college paper has sprung into being, only too often to die an early death from malnutrition or too much competition.

Today is born the "Gadfly", an offspring of the Liberal Club, leaping full armed from the brain to fill the need for some magazine of "opinion". As such, it will gratify a want which has long been felt. But if its opinions become opinionated, and the "Gadfly" contents itself in buzzing in only one ear and leaves the other alone, if it demonstrates that "opinions" of undergraduates are immature and of not much value, it would fare better on some even more lopsided planet. But that time will show; to begin with the CRIMSON wishes the "Gadfly" every success on a long, valuable flight.