HARVARD DEBATING UNION HOLDS FIRST MEETING TONIGHT

All Members of University Invited to Attend -- Announce Platform of Conservative Wing

At 7 o'clock this evening the Harvard Debating Union, composed of the Progressive and Conservative Clubs, will hold its first meeting in the Trophy Room of the Union. Professor W. B. Munro '99, professor of Municipal Government, will preside. The topic for discussion will be: "Resolved, that the United States recognize Soviet Russia immediately".

The representatives of the Progressive Club, upholding the affirmative of this question, will be Corliss Lamont '24 and E. G. Wesson '25. The Conservatives, represented by Charlton MacVeagh '24 and C. C. Colt '24, will present the negative side. Each of these four speakers will have seven minutes in which to present his case.

The meeting is open to all members of the University, and at the conclusion of the speeches the discussion will be thrown open to the floor. It will be necessary, in order to allow general participation, to limit men speaking from the audience to three minutes each. It is expected that the whole debate, including the four opening speeches, will not extend past 8.30. At the close of the discussion, the audience will be asked to render a decision on the merits of the question.

Following is the platform of the Conservative Club as announced after a meeting yesterday evening:

"The inviolability of private property, the value of preserving the stability of the existing order, an active participation of the United States in international affairs, and opposition to the inauguration of hazardous innovations: these in brief are the principles of the Conservative Club.

1. We are avowedly opposed to the government ownership of transportation facilities, and believe that the aforesaid ownership leads only to incompetency and failure. We are likewise opposed to any greater degree of governmental interference with corporations and capitalistic enterprises.

2. We are heartily in favor of strict discriminatory legislation against the immigration of aliens.

3. We are definitely opposed to the system of electing senators and presidential electors by the method of the direct primary.

4. We are in favor of a readjustment of the income tax with a view to removing the handicaps to capitalistic expansion.

5. We believe that voluntary associations should be held responsible and made liable to prosecution under the laws.

6. We are opposed to the immediate recognition of the present de facto government of Russia.

7. We are in favor of the funding of the allied debt".