GALOSHI

The wearing of rubbers or galoshen in wet weather has not always been a cardinal virtue. Only a few centuries ago John Locke gave the following instruction with regard to children: "I will advise his Feet to be washed every Day incold Water, and to have his Shoes so thin that they might leak and let in Water, Whenever he comes near it".

Locke prefaces his "Thoughts Concerning Education" with a statement concerning the importance of health: "A Sound Mind in a Sound Body is a short but full description of a happy State in this World"; and then he goes on, advancing more advios: "Whatever he eats that is solid, make him chew it well. We English are often from whence follow Indigestion and other great inconveniences. . . His Drink should be only Small Beer. . . . Let his Bed be hard, rather than Quilts and Feathers". The last suggestion that he makes is the only one with which the author of "How not to Catch Cold", a recent article in the Literary Digest, agrees-to the effect that "he should be much in the open Air, and as little as possible by tite Fire, even in Winter".

The Literary Digest article stresses the danger of overheated rooms. "65 to 88 degrees is quite warm enouth"-beyond that point men become lazy, and are apt to done in lectures. It gives further words of wisdom: "Don't go to any public meetings if you have a cold"-an important piece of advice; and "Don't sneze or cough except into a handkerchief"-if the student is wise, he does not cough at all during certain lectures in English course-for coughing has often been called "an unnecessary luxury".

Views of philosophers and doctors have altered an great deal during the last two centuries, to judge by the two articles quoted above; but it is just possible that John Locke was giving advice on "How not to have to take your next hour exam".