SQUASH TEAM DEFEATS ST. PAUL'S IN FIRST VICTORY OF THE SEASON

175 CANDIDATES FOR SQUASH TEAM AT ST. PAUL'S

The University squash racquets team scored its initial victory of the season in decisively defeating St. Paul's School 5 to 0 at Concord yesterday afternoon. Although the school team numbered but one veteran on its line-up, the St. Paul's players were chosen from a large squad, since 175 men have taken part in a recent tournament to determine the personnel of the team.

In the number one match W. P. Dixon '25 had little trouble in overcoming Captain H. N. Rawlins 15-11, 15-13, 15-7. Although the latter is an experienced man, having held third place on last year's team, he could not stand up to the game produced by the University player. Dixon developed unusual skill at making kill shots, but for the most part relied on his own steadiness to wear down his opponent by long rallies.

Captain E. M. Hinkle '23 dropped his first and third games and allowed H. T. Scott to get an eight point lead on each of the other three, but won out in the end 15-16, 17-16, 15-17, 17-15, 17-15.

In the third match Carroll Harrington '24 ran through R. G. Kaufman 15-11, 15-12, 15-7. In defeating R. S. Rush 11-15, 15-12, 15-11, 15-11, A. L. Smith '25 displayed the steadiness which has marked his playing all this fall. F. I. Carpenter '24 was forced to five games in his first match on team A. but clearly out-played Floyd Mundy by the score 17-14, 15-11, 11-15, 12-15, 15-7.