KEEP MOVING

The conference is over, but from all indications much of the progressive work-instituted by the administration will have to be repeated in the Senate. The fight for ratification of the several treaties, agreed upon by the conference, bids fair to be as bitter as that which took place over the League two years ago.

Senate opposition to treaties involving new international obligations for this country seems to be as deep-seated as it is unreasonable. In spite of all that has gone on in the last five years, there are still politicians of great reputation, who do not realize that the days of strict Monroe Doctrine isolation are gone forever. At present the Four-Power treaty seems to be bearing the brunt of the opposition. The "irreconcilables", unfortunately heavily represented on the Committee on Foreign Affairs, are already talking reservations, thereby laying the foundation for a long-winded argument against ratification both in the committee room and on the floor of the Senate.

It would be particularly unfortunate if the work of the conference should meet with delaying opposition in this country. The United States instigated it and it was American statesmanship that put it through. There is little doubt that sooner or later all the treaties will be ratified, for the administration has an adequate majority in the Senate. Futile hindrances and delays on the part of Senator Borah and his followers, however, will eliminate the tremendous prestige that would be given to the treaties if confirmed immediately. Swift ratification would have much the effect of a great approving public referendum on the work of the conference, and the influence of immediate ratification on other countries can hardly be over-estimated. On the other hand a long drawn-out discussion would have a tendency to destroy confidence in the pact. With this in view it behooves the Administration to force the issue, in order that the country may present to the world an appearance of undivided support of the conference.