NORTON THESES DUE TODAY

Manuscripts for Fellowship Must be Handed in to Chairman of Department of Classics

Today is the last day for handing in theses for the Charles Eliot Norton Fellowship in Greek Studies for 1921-1922; they must be given to the Chairman of the Department of Classics. The Fellowship consists of an income of $950 for the year, and the incumbent must agree to study during that year at the American School of Classical Studies at Athens, devoting himself to the study of Greek history, literature, art, archaeology, epigraphy, or topography. The author of the winning thesis must also allow it to be published in the "Harvard Studies in Classical Philology".

The award will this year be made by a committee of the Department of the Classics consisting of Professor Charles Burton Gulick '90, Professor Herbert Weir Smyth '78, and Professor George Henry Chase '96. Besides the themes submitted any other scholarship evidence available of the contestants will be considered in the decision. The committee may, in special cases, not require the thesis, and it will make the award without regard to the pecuniary needs of the competitors.

The fund for the fellowship was established in 1901 by Mr. James Loeb '88 in memory of Charles Eliot Norton '46, and in recognition and appreciation of his great service to classical archaeology.