PROFESSOR BOUTON DIES ON MONDAY AFTER LONG ILLNESS

Had Been Member of Mathematics Department for 24 Years--Funeral Held Yesterday at Appleton Chapel

Charles Leonard Bouton '96, Professor of Mathematics at the University since 1898, died Monday at his home, 9 Avon St. His death came as the result of an illness lasting several months, due to nervous affection of the spine.

Professor Bouton was born in St. Louis on April 25, 1869, and he graduated from Washington University in 1891. He spent the years 1894-96 at Harvard as a graduate student of mathematics. In 1898 he went abroad on a Parker Fellowship and studied with Sophus Lie in Leipzig, taking the degree of Ph.D. in 1898. He returned to Cambridge the same year and took up his work on the staff of the Mathematics department continuing in this position until a few months before his death.

Shortly after his return he was obliged to submit to an emergency operation for appendicitis an occasion which raced his strength to the utmost, the traces remaining with him so that he never again had that complete measure of strength and endurance which had been his before Professor Bouton was one of the editors of the Bulletin of the American Mathematical Society.

Funeral Services were held in Appleton Chapel yesterday t 12 o'clock noon. and the burial took place at the Mr. Auburn' Cometery.