FAME AND THE ARTIST

A distinguished foreign visitor arrived in America a few days ago. He may be considered one of the most sought-after young gentlemen in the world, for during his recent mornings and afternoons at home in the National Galleries in London, over ninety thousand people called to admire him. He is now entertaining the invited few in New York and will presently receive the rabble--at $2 a head. His name is Master Buttall--the famous Blue Boy.

A world harassed by wars and rebellions paused a moment in wonder a short time ago when this young gentleman changed hands for a consideration of some $700,000. Immediately began the workings of human nature. Hundreds of people who had not been to a gallery a dozen times stood in line and paid to see this painting. Some went because it was the thing to do if they wanted to be au courrant as to the color of the young man's coat; but more went, doubtless, out of a sentimental curiosity to see the painting which had commanded such a breath-taking price and was making its "positively last appearance in England". If the Blue Boy had not been about to sail away, no one would have called to say good-bye.

The moral is obvious. If we are to become a country of picture-lovers our museums must be gradually emptied. Let the Metropolitan in New York sell The Old Lady Paring Her Nails for $1,000,000, and all the city will flock to wave her bon voyage. Or let our own Fogg Museum close out stock, beginning with one of the Venetian masters. The Economics Department, meeting in Holden Chapel, would yield the New Lecture Hall to the votaries of the Arts!