SQUASH TOURNAMENT GOES TO THIRD ROUND

Must be Played Off by Sunday Night--Freshman Tourney Advances to Finals--First of Graduate School Matches Yesterday

All matches in the second round of the University Squash Tournament were completed yesterday afternoon, with the result that 16 men advanced into the third round. All matches in the latter list must be played off by Sunday night, and those not finished by then will be defaulted.

In the best of Wednesday's matches Channing Wakefield 1L, defeated A. L. Smith '25 by the score of 3-2. In the fifth game, with the score two games all, Smith was leading 14-9, but Wakefield rallied and finally clinched the game and match. Lawrence Foster 1L and D. P. Kingsley 1L., both members of last year's Yale squash team, had another close struggle, Foster finally nosing out the match 3-2.

One of the most surprising events of the tournament occurred in yesterday's list of matches when C. J. Mason '22 gained an unexpected victory over J. T. Bradlee '22. Both were members of the University team B, but Mason found no difficulty in winning with three consecutive games to his credit. The following reached the third round as a result of matches this week:

M. P. Baker '22, F. I. Carpenter '24, R. B. Coulter 3L., F. W. Crocker 1L., J. H. Finley '25, Lawrence Foster 1L., D. M. Gilmore 2L., F. H. Hall 1L., Carroll Harrington '24, C. H. Hyams 1L., D. McK. Key '22, C. J. Mason '22, Channing Wakefield 1L., Belden Wigglesworth '23, W. P. Dixon '25, J. H. Douglass 1L.

In the Freshman tournament A. L. Smith advanced into the final round as the result of a default caused by the fact that Chandler Bigelow and W. P. Beal did not play their fourth round. He will meet the winner of the other semi-final match between W. P. Dixon and E. M. Upjohn. Both of these men won their fourth round matches easily and the contest promises to be a close one.

The tournaments in the Law, Graduate, Business, and Engineering Schools began yesterday. Forty men have enrolled in the Law School tournament, 16 in the Business School, and six in each of the other two. The names of the winners will be engraved on the record boards in the University squash courts. In these tournaments men may not sign up for more than a half-hour. All matches will be two out of three games except the finals and semi-finals which will be three out of five. The preliminary round of the Law School tournament and the first round of the other tournaments must be played by Friday evening