WHO CAN KEEP SILENT?

"In these days", writes Dr. McGilroy in his diary, "a feeling of hope for the future is everywhere apparent. People talk of nothing but the Peace [of Paris]. Everyone goes about exclaiming the same things a hundred times over; yet who can keep silent?" What the people of England felt in 1763, the whole world reflects today as it reads the provisions of the Disarmament treaty--at last an accomplished fact. At no time since the signing of the Armistice has such a glow of untrammeled satisfaction pervaded the hearts of thinking men and women. At no time has the prospect of future peace seemed so bright as today when the ten-year naval holiday has begun. It is not often that the headlines carry such a real and lasting thrill. As Dr. McGilroy observed, there is nothing new we can say, yet who can keep silent?

Not that the treaty is perfect; there are still a few things that remain to be done. But the unparalleled good feeling and spirit of conciliation which has made itself manifest is indeed cheering to those who have the future of the world at heart. Shantung returned to China after twenty-three years, the cessation of preparations for war in the Pacic, the naval holiday, an agreement relative to the use of poison gas and submarines these are some of the things which the present Conference has accomplished. What wonder then, that there is such a prevalent feeling of "bien-etre"? As with the Englishmen of 1763, hope for the future is today on all hands apparent.